Author Topic: Orphanage St Joseph's Franciscan Convent in Littlehampton  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Marie VINCENT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orphanage St Joseph's Franciscan Convent in Littlehampton
« on: Thursday 24 June 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello ! I'm French and I'm looking for information about Francis HENRY . Francis was placed St Joseph's Franciscan Convent in Littlehampton untill 1933 . Francis was born in Mitcham on 2 september 1923 , his father ( Auguste HENRY ) was french , his mother ( Kate KETTLEWHITE ) was english. The family came to live in France about 1930 and returned in 1931 or 1932 to London . His parents became ill and are hospitalized in the french hospital in London . I do'nt know  the address where they lived in 1932 and in which neighborhood .  in the orphanage St Vincent de Paul in 1932 ( I don't know which and there are more 12 St Vincent de Paul orphanages in London ) then he was placed St Joseph's Franciscan Convent in Littlehampton
J hope to find details about this period of his life and in particular the dates of his stay at St Joseph's Franciscan Convent in Littlehampton because I write my family history . Are there records St Joseph's Franciscan Convent . Can you help me ? Thank you and sorry , my english langage is bad . Marie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanage St Joseph's Franciscan Convent in Littlehampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 21 11:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Marie,  Your English is very good.  :)

I see that when Auguste & Kate married Auguste had other names beginning with L & P

Marriage Sep qtr 1921 
Henry    Auguste L P   
Kettlewhite    Kate    Henry   
Croydon    2a   876

There was a death for an Augustus L P Henry in Wandsworth registration district in 1934 was that him though he is possibly too old to be the right person

Death Mar qtr 1934   
Augustus L P Henry   
age 74   
Wandsworth RD    1d   758   

Burial - Augustus Louis Pascal Henry
burial date 07 March 1934
location Lambeth

Do you know where and when Auguste & Kate died.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 21 12:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :D

There is a history of the Franciscan convent in Littlehampton here

https://www.franciscan.co.uk/history/

As they are still there you could try contacting them direct to see if they still hold records for Francis Henry.

The West Sussex Records Office has an online search facility
http://185.121.204.173/searchonline/
although a quick search showed nothing for the convent

Good luck
Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Marie VINCENT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie 99 and Janan for taking an interest in my request and thank you for your welcome 
Yes Jahan I contacted for some time www.franciscan.co.uk/contact but I did’nt an answer ! I will take your advice and look for on the west sussex record office
Rosie , You have already searched a lot for me . and everything is true
Auguste Louis Pascal (L.P.)HENRY & Kate KETTLEWHITE married on 18/07/1921 at Croydon . Auguste is 61 years old ( it’s his second marriage).
4 children :
-   Bessie was born KETTLEWHITE on 26/06/1916 . She was certainly legitimized by Auguste , because after when she is an adult her name is HENRY but I did’nt find an act of legitimation .
-   Adrian Louis Pascal was born 4° quarter 1921 at Croydon , died 1° quarter 1922 Croydon burial 21/02/1922 Merton
-   Francis was born 02/09/1923 at Mitcham ( Surrey ) He was the person whose I search informations
-   Marcelle K.M.was born 4° quarter 1927 and died 1° quarter 1929 Croydon burial 06/03/1929 Merton

Auguste died Hospital Tooting Bec Wandsworth on 01/03/1934 . Burial 07/03/1934 Lambeth Tooting . His last know adress ( on death certificate ) is Bruce house C.L.H Drury Lane . If I understanded it was a charitable organization . He was ill since 1932 .  This means probabily that Auguste ill for a year, had no more resources and became poor.
His wife Kate was ill too and was hospitalised on French Convalescent Home at Brighton.  Later she lived  1936  21, robertson street Battersea and 1937 at her sister’s ( Bessie KETTLEWHITE / DRINKHALL )
Kate died 30/07/1963 St James’s Hospital Battersea
Francis was placed in the orphanage St Vincent de Paul in London in 1932 , then St Joseph's Franciscan Convent in Littlehampton untill 1933 . January 1933 , his half brother who lived in Paris came and get him . Later he stayed in France .
   The information I'm missing are about this period  1931 1932- 1933 , when the family returned to London , and when Francis is placed in the orphanage .
Thank you for your help . Marie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 June 21 15:29 BST (UK) »
I doubt that you would find any record for Bessie's change of surname following her parents marriage she would have been able to assume that name without legally changing it. 

Unfortunately not many records are available online for the period you are interested in. 

The National Archives (TNA) at Kew have information on the Littlehampton Convent but it does look as though they cover dates later than you are looking at. (1957-1966)
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1388853
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16834390

Electoral registers would normally cover this time frame but it is possible that Auguste did not qualify to vote

Sorry I can't be more help.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk