Author Topic: James Bartlett born c1776  (Read 680 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
James Bartlett born c1776
« on: Friday 25 June 21 15:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about James Bartlett.  He married Elizabeth Hoare in 1798 in Godmersham and had 12 children between 1799 and 1820, all baptised in Godmersham until the last child, who was baptised in Brabourne.  I believe he died in 1822 and was buried in Brabourne. 

Elizabeth Hoare was born in 1778 in Godmersham and I have therefore guessed that James was born c1776, however there is no baptism for him about that time in Godmersham.  There is a baptism on 12 Nov 1775 in   All Saints, Chillenden, Kent, England,
Name:   
James Bartlet
Father's Name:   
John
Mother's Name:   
Susan

Sisters Sussanah 1763,  Sarah 1759, Elizabeth 1758, Ann 1765, Mary 1766, brothers Thomas 1761, William 1773, James 1771 and Andrew 1779

I am wondering if this could be 'my' James although none of his daughter were called Susan and he waited  until the 3rd son to christen him John.

I also have a possible DNA link with

Martha Bartlett
Baptism Date:   21 Oct 1750
Baptism Place:   Chillenden, Kent
Relation:   Daughter
Father:   John Bartlett
Mother:   Martha Bartlet

Would be grateful for any information or suggestions which would support or otherwise my hypothesis, it is always useful to have second (and third) opinions!

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Bartlett born c1776
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 21 16:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at the records on family search I note that Elizabeth’s parents were William & Elizabeth.

James & Elizabeth’s children were in order of birth.

Mary, James, Ann, Henry, William, George 1806

Then gaps to 1812 below but there are census returns for others, including a John
So records may not be complete.

Daniel, Elizabeth, Mary 8 Jan 1817, Charlotte 7 Dec 1817, Harriet 1820

So if I am correct James baptised 1801 is the eldest son, which If they followed the English naming pattern this would be the name of the father of James. However William was probably the third son which slightly confuses the issue and not to forget the records that I may be missing.

James Bartlett & Sarah Epps (No marriage or other children) had a son
James Bartlett baptised 26 Jan 1780 Eastwell, Kent.

James Bartlett married Ann Mount 9 May 1771 Eastry, Kent they had several children there, including James Bartlett baptised 19 Jul 1772

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 21 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that added information, Colin.  A couple more to consider!

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
  There was a James, born Chartham, 1771, parents John and Susan. John Bartlett and Susanna Spillett married Chartham 1764, and several other children were born there. Chartham would be a better fit with Godmersham, although you mentioned another link with Chillenden
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 June 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I do wish there weren't quite so many Bartletts in the area!  I also have a problem with Hannah Bartlett who married William Heyward in Mersham in 1803 - have no idea where she sprang from!  :-)

There is rather an over-supply of Heyward/Haywards too!

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 June 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
  I can't see James' burial in Brabourne, though I have found the baptism there.
  Your post caught my eye, as I have a considerable interest in Chillenden, and it doesn't crop up very often, being small and insignificant!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 June 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
And I am very grateful for any help, I admit am not sure where I got the 1822 burial from as I seem to have lost any notes about the source, which is annoying, it will be on a piece of paper somewhere in the files I was using when I did this part of the tree, probably 10+ years ago. 

Due to the difficulty in finding further information I have not researched this part of the tree for some considerable time, but interest has been sparked by multiple DNA links to a lady whose family appears to have come from the area, Ann Elizabeth Craib was born in New Zealand, but her father apparently came from Kent.  However, I cannot place her, her parents, or her husband David Kenison born 1836 in New Zealand, in my tree at all.  I am therefore trying to see if I can find links to the Craib family.

I think it probably comes via one of the Bartlett ancestors as I have lots of information on the Hoare and Hayward families.  The other alternative is David Kenison filling the role of a previous unknown father but the relationships are not in quite the right degree.  :-(  Would be wonderful if that was the answer.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 June 21 08:31 BST (UK) »
CRAIB isn't a common name in Kent.  There were a few in North Kent in what are now part of Greater London and a group in the Dover area.  It's worth looking at FindMyPast for Kent records.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 June 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think I need to renew my subscription to FindMyPast!  Ann Elizabeth's parents were from Dover.