Author Topic: New Ross Workhouse  (Read 1179 times)

Offline sharon malins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Ross Workhouse
« on: Saturday 26 June 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
Im looking for information on my great-grandad who was born in New Ross workhouse in 1877. Can anyone give me any information please, on where i can find information. I have emailed archivist at wexford and as yet had no reply.
i

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Ross Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 June 21 10:07 BST (UK) »
If we had his name maybe we could help.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 June 21 10:16 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I presume that you have been on this website http://www.workhouses.org.uk/NewRoss/ and have contacted the Wexford County Archive Service.
http://wexfordcountyarchive.com/

They appear to be the only repository holding the workhouse records, so you will just need to persevere. Remember that Covid-19 is having an effect on all archive, library and record office operations.

You could also try the National Archives of Ireland https://www.nationalarchives.ie/

As dathai said, maybe a name.

Good luck  :D

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline sharon malins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you so much for replying so quickly, his name is James Tully he was born on 11th September 1877 . I have found his baptism record which has Union on it.
Thanks so much for these web sites. I have had a look but been unsuccessful.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline sharon malins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
wow, thats amazing thankyou everyone. I would love to find work house information to see if he stayed there, he had a brother Patrick 1874 who was also born in the work house. I'm not sure if there father was ever in there life's. there was a story that he was in both world war 1 and 2 . i have records showing that he was in world war two but nothing for world war one. (yet lol. maybe ive been looking under the wrong name)
My great grandad was able to read and write so he must of had good schooling for this to be the case.
Thank you all so much. the hunt still continues. trying to find information on a really good man xx

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 21 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
Workhouses were actually the forerunners of our County Hospital System.  Many people sought medical aid in the local workhouse as they had the services of a Doctor and nurses which is why a lot of infants were born there as they had properly trained medical staff.  Wexford County Council will have the Work house records but these tend to be in Ledger form and may or may not have been digitised.  Covid has also slowed things down as well.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 June 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
“there there was a story that he was in both world war 1 and 2 . i have records showing that he was in world war two but nothing for World War One”

He would be too old for WW2.

There is a WW1 Pension record for him.
James Tully, Royal Irish Regiment  No 8800
 Short Service Attestion 1915. ‘for Home Service only’

It has details of wife and children so definitely him.

By chance I found an earlier one by scrolling back and it is a bit complicated. I am not sure if there are two records mixed up as Carrick on Suir is shown as the birthplace.
There are dates from 1895 - 1908. It is quite a troubled record.
However, it mentions mother Ellen Tully and brother Patrick who also seems to be a soldier., Michael Street, New Ross.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 04:14 BST (UK) »
I don't believe you will find any additional information from the Workhouse.

The extant records are described at
http://wexfordcountyarchive.com/our-collections/local-government-archives/

For New Ross, the minute books are basically all that survive - no admission or discharge registers.

Many of the minute books are digitized and available online
http://wexfordcountyarchive.com/our-collections/digital-collections/poor-law-union-minutes-new-ross/

However, as already pointed out by others, Workhouse births and deaths were registered as normal in the Civil Registration system.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area