Author Topic: Burial place of Charles Stewart, died 8 November 1864, Nigg, Kincardineshire  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Pfig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi, new to the site, so still working out how things are done  :).  For some time I've been looking for the burial place of my Great Great Grandfather, Charles Stewart.  He was born September 1806 in Banchory Devenick and was killed, aged 58, while working on the railway on 8 November 1864 at the Blackhills Cutting, South of Cove Station, Aberdeen.  He was killed instantly after being knocked down and run over by a train of goods wagons.  I've tried all the usual sources and I have his death cert and also the newspaper article regarding the accident, however I just can't find where he's buried.  Wondered if he featured in anyone else's tree and they may have the answer?  Thanks in advance.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place of Charles Stewart, died 8 November 1864, Nigg, Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Where was his usual residence according to the death certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Pfig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place of Charles Stewart, died 8 November 1864, Nigg, Kincardineshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, no place of residence listed on his death certificate when he died in 1864.  Two years prior to his death, in 1862, he was listed as living at Coldseas, Nigg, Kincardineshire when his last child, Francis (my great grandfather), was born.

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 July 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Pfig,
Forfarian, according to this link he stayed at Calsies, Cove.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff81f60d03e7f57ebad58

Which today would be Colsea, I presume.

Offline Pfig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 July 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
This is my Charles!  I've never seen this before and had no idea that his Widow, Thurziah, tried to claim compensation for his death.  Very disappointed to see that she was unsuccessful, especially as she was left with 5 young children to bring up.  Apologies for the delay in responding; I didn't see your reply until I was on the train home last night, coming back from Aberdeen.  To be sitting on the train, reading your post and having just passed through the area where Charles was killed was a very surreal experience!  I very much appreciate you taking the time to post this.  I really can't thank you enough.

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 21 04:35 BST (UK) »
You're welcome. I can imagine it felt strange. This family history stuff can play havoc with your emotions. Things from centuries back become very real.
 I was actually looking for a site I've been on before when I stumbled across that. There is another site which lists every train/railway accident.
However, it doesn't find his burial place, I checked the Nigg and Banchory Devenick MIs, which seemed the obvious places, no sign there. There are several in other graveyards with no dates, you may know this link but here it is anyway. https://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databanks/memorial-inscriptions/miindex
See if any are on stones with other names familiar to you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 July 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
Banchory-Devenick and Nigg are in the County of Kincardine.

However there is no longer a Kincardine County Council; Banchory-Devenick comes under Aberdeenshire and Nigg under the City of Aberdeen.

Some of the Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire burial records are available on Deceased Online www.deceasedonline.com.

If that doesn't answer try https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/aberdeen-city-and-aberdeenshire-archives/catalogues-and-indexes/burial-records-archives.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Pfig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for your replies.  I'm out all day today, will have a look at your suggestions tomorrow.  I really appreciate you both taking the time to help me.

Offline Pfig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 July 21 12:29 BST (UK) »
Just to give you a wee update.  I know Charles' mother, Margaret, was buried in Portlethen Churchyard in 1858 as this is stated on her death certificate.  She doesn't have a headstone and I don't know the exact location of her grave.  I had wondered if Charles was buried with her 6 years later in 1864.  I contacted Aberdeenshire Council Registrars who came back and advised me that their books for Portlethen don't start until 1870, which is a shame.  I'll keep searching as you never know what may pop up in future.  Thanks again to both of you for your help.  This is a great Forum!