Author Topic: Death of John Groves, died 1833-1835, Brookfield Township, Trumbull Co., Ohio  (Read 448 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Groves is buried in Brookfield, Ohio. His death is calculated to be between 1833-1835. He is believed to have emigrated from Ireland about 1821 with his son John and several other children. Would like to have an obit, death record, death notice, anything which covers his death. Or his emigration.
His oldest son is believed to be James, reportedly born May 3, 1801 in Dromore, Donegal, Ireland (I am not sure of this birth place information) and died Jan 31, 1873 in Brookfield. Information on his death might reveal his mother's name which may or may not be Catherine who died Mar 4, 1849 in Brookfield.
John was born abt 1802 in Ireland, married Elizabeth Bradbury abt 1839. His death was July 9, 1876 in Fowler, Trumbull Co., Ohio.
Catherine Groves  born Apr 16, 1804 married John Caulfield in 1824 in Ireland. Catherine Caulfield/Cauffield/Caufield died Sept 25,1886 in Brookfield Center and her husband John died Mar 9, 1888.
Mary Ann Groves was born abt 1812, married Thomas Millikin/Milliken/Milligan in 1835 in Vienna, Trumbull Co. Thomas died abt Feb 14, 1883 at his son Groves Millikin in Franklin, Pennsylvania. Mary Ann's death has not been found - she was on the 1880 census in Hubbard, Trumbull co. with Thomas so odds are that she also died at her son's residence.
Thanks for any help with this family. The  above children may not be all the same family but are believed to be so.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death of John Groves, died 1833-1835, Brookfield Township, Trumbull Co., Ohio
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
Is that your anc tree with the note reviewing 8 land deeds concerning the Groves family, signed
Peggy. ?

John Groves - 1836

Abt. 1836 - Trumbull County Courthouse, Warren Ohio
"Land was deeded to William Groves by the other heirs of John Groves deceased, which would be the previous transaction on Nov 4, 1836. This was in Deed Book 54, Pages 363-364 Warren Courthouse, Trumbull Co. Ohio as discovered by PG 7-4-2018  ??

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of John Groves, died 1833-1835, Brookfield Township, Trumbull Co., Ohio
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
I don't have an ancestry tree but it could be my note which I don't recall posting. Maybe someone reposted info from me.I did reconstruct the family partly from land transactions and cemetery records.
From your clipping, sounds like my research. At first, I thought William was one of the siblings but I found a note later on which said that William's father was William whereas I think the others had father John, mother uncertain.
William married Eliza Jane Hillock, who went by Jane - marriage Nov 13, 1834 in Liberty, Trumbull Co., Ohio. They divorced in 1866 and Jane moved to Bloomingdale, Bloomingdale Township, Michigan with all  the children except for son Robert. I never did find William's death but Jane says she is a widow in 1876. Was she? There is no death record or obit for William in Trumbull Co. Did he move to Michigan as well? I don't know. Robert is not mentioned in Jane's will of 1876 - was he deceased by then or just estranged? Robert was last known about in 1860.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 July 21 23:48 BST (UK) »
I was just looking at a tree on ancestry which has Mary Groves, daughter of William Groves and Jane Hillock, married to John Groves McClain. That is not correct.  William's daughter Mary married William Whalen.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 July 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
Looking at the family of William Groves and Eliza Jane Hillock again, perhaps we should look for the death of son Robert between 1860 and 1866. It was initially thought that perhaps he wished to stay with his father when Jane moved to Michigan but perhaps he was deceased.