Author Topic: Is William Watson's wife Charlotte HAIGH or PIGOT?  (Read 610 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Is William Watson's wife Charlotte HAIGH or PIGOT?
« on: Friday 02 July 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I apologize if I have posted about this before, but I don't believe I have. I am revisiting a part of my tree that has always confused me.

My 5x great grandfather William Watson was born in 1763 in Wentworth, Yorkshire (he died 1822 in Thorpe Hesley).
I am a little confused on his marriages.

These are the children he had that I have found (he may have had more). They are all baptized at Wentworth;

- Sarah (born 1787, said to be daughter of Wm Watson and Charlotte, no mother's maiden name given).

- William (born 1792, said to be the son of Wm Watson and Charlotte HAIGH (father of Charlotte is recorded on the baptism as Richard HAIGH)).

- Maria (born 1795, said to be the daughter of Wm Watson and CHARLOTTE PIGGOT (parents of Charlotte are recorded as Wm and Anne Piggot of Conisbrough)).

So it seems either these are two different William Watson's, or William married two different Charlotte's.
I believe they are the same William, as they are all recorded as nailers/nail makers of Thorpe Hesley (which most of my line of Watson's are).
So then the question is the Charlotte's.

There is a record for a William Watson marrying a Charlotte 'Pigot' at Wadworth by Doncaster, near Conisbrough, on 19th September 1784. But why would William marry Charlotte PIGOT (in 1784), then have son William (b.1792) by Charlotte HAIGH, then have daughter Maria (b.1795) by Charlotte PIGOT?
I cannot find a marriage so far between William Watson and Charlotte Haigh, yet she is recorded as the mother of my ancestor William (b.1792).

Added to this, there is a burial of 'Charlotte Watson, wife of William Watson' at Wentworth in 1803 (27th July). She is said to be 40 years old, putting her approx. birth date at 1763... and there is a baptism of a Charlotte 'Pygot' at Conisbrough on 6th April 1763 (daughter of William Pygot, the same as on Maria's baptism record). I cannot find a birth record for a Charlotte Haigh in the immediate area around 1763.

So it's got me a little confused... what I primarily need to know is who is the mother of William's son William Watson (b.1792) as he is my ancestor. William is recorded as the son of Charlotte Haigh (and it even names her dad), but I cannot find a marriage or birth record for her name. Could 'Haigh' actually be a mistake, and she is in fact Charlotte Pigot? (But this wouldn't explain why her dad is recorded as Richard - how could they get the surname AND the parents' names wrong?).

One thing to note is that William Watson (1763-1822, the husband in this case) is the son of John Watson and Elizabeth HAIGH. So could the registrar have recorded William's mother's maiden name and not the child's mother's maiden name?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is William Watson's wife Charlotte HAIGH or PIGOT?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 July 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
Strange - Maria and William are shown as "Dade" register entries at Wentworth - Maria as 3rd daughter, and William as 1st son.  But different mother's surname.   :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 21 22:57 BST (UK) »
Strange - Maria and William are shown as "Dade" register entries at Wentworth - Maria as 3rd daughter, and William as 1st son.  But different mother's surname.   :-\

Sometimes them dade's records confuse issues with giving grandparents names as well as parents names,  thus seeing Haigh mentioned in William's family entry  may well be worth looking at the birth entries of William and his childrens dade parish entries.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 July 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
William (the younger) born 1792 (son of William who married either Charlotte Pigot or Haigh), had the following children;

- Maria (1824-1858), bap. 2 Jan 1825, dau of William and Hannah.
- Joseph (b.1827), bap.4th March 1827, son of William and Hannah.
- Sarah (b.1829), bap. 17th May 1829, dau of William and Hannah.
- William (1831-1885), bap. 9th Oct 1831, son of William and Hannah.

So all the parents' names are given for these children, but not their grandparents' names (which could've helped with their grandmother's maiden name - either Haigh or Piggot). I found all these in transcripts on Genuki - and all the baptisms are at Wentworth, Yorkshire. But I believe the Dade registers came to an end in 1812, so I didn't expect to find grandparent's names on these baptisms.

I'm not sure where to look next to find out what Charlotte's maiden name was  ???

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 July 21 11:28 BST (UK) »
I haven't spotted a likely baptism for a Charlotte daughter of Richard Haigh, but I wonder if the explanation might be to do with the child's parents getting confused over the questions being asked.

For example, "Who is William's grandmother?" (which William - the baby or the father?)
Or, "The mother is Charlotte, and who are the grandparents?" (understood as 'who are her grandparents?')

Either way, finding out who Charlotte Haigh is might be the best way to work out why she got mentioned.

Incidentally, I didn't note the details but I think that William and Charlotte's daughter Sarah was baptised in Conisbrough in 1787, not in Wentworth.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 July 21 13:18 BST (UK) »
I haven't spotted a likely baptism for a Charlotte daughter of Richard Haigh, but I wonder if the explanation might be to do with the child's parents getting confused over the questions being asked.

For example, "Who is William's grandmother?" (which William - the baby or the father?)
Or, "The mother is Charlotte, and who are the grandparents?" (understood as 'who are her grandparents?')

Either way, finding out who Charlotte Haigh is might be the best way to work out why she got mentioned.

Incidentally, I didn't note the details but I think that William and Charlotte's daughter Sarah was baptised in Conisbrough in 1787, not in Wentworth.

Yes sorry - Sarah, daughter of William and Charlotte was baptised at Consibrough - 28th Feb 1787, "Sarah, daughter of William and Charlotte Watson". The Conisbrough link seems to suggest that Charlotte PIGGOT was the mother of Sarah.

I've just had a look at William's mother's family - William's mother was Elizabeth HAIGH (which I mentioned in my first post may have been where the Haigh surname came from). From what I could find, Elizabeth Haigh could be the daughter of Thomas Haigh or Hague, and his wife Susannah Walker. The baptism for this is 'Elizabetha filia Thoma Hague bapt 6 December' [1724 at Tankersley]. Elizabeth's marriage to John Watson (these two are the parents of William) in Rotherham on 6th November 1750 suggests that John is from Ecclesfield and Elizabeth is from Rotherham, so perhaps this Tankersley baptism isn't likely, I'm not sure.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 July 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
I'm going to research Charlotte Piggot/Pigot/Pygot's ancestry now, to see if a Richard Hague/Haigh appears anywhere - to see if the questions asked about the children's families at their baptisms were misunderstood.

Starting with Charlotte Piggot, bap 6th April 1763 at Conisbrough, daughter of William 'Pygot' and his wife Anne.

It appears that Charlotte may have had these siblings, although there may be more than one William Pigot here, as some baptisms are at Conisbrough (where Charlotte was baptised) and others are nearby at Doncaster.

- Wm 'Pigot' bap 4 July 1756 in Conisbrough.
- Elizabeth 'Pygot' bap 6 April 1763, Conisbrough.
- Sarah 'Pyegot' bap 24th February 1760, Conisbrough.
- Hollis Robert 'Pigot' bap 10 April 1758, Doncaster.
- Elizabeth 'Pygot', bap 9th April 1759, Doncaster.
- Wm Brooke 'Pigot', bap 27th February 1757, Doncaster.
- Wm 'Pigot' bap 24th March 1760, Doncaster.

~~~~~~~~---------------

EDIT: It looks like there were two William Piggot's - one at Doncaster and one at Conisbrough/Wadworth by Doncaster.
- William 'PYKIT' (aged 28) m. Anne Bolton (aged 21), 12th or 13th July 1755, St Mary's, Wadworth. Both of Wadworth, by license. Witnesses: John Guest and Emmanuel Martin.
- William 'PIGOT' m. Eliz. Brooke, 20th April 1756, St George's, Doncaster.

So since Charlotte Pigot's parents were William and Anne, this seems to match with the first marriage - between William 'Pykit' and Anne Bolton, in 1755, 8 years before Charlotte's baptism.
So it appears that the Conisbrough baptisms belong to this couple, and the Doncaster baptisms likely belong to another William Pigot and his wife Elizabeth Brooke.

So this leaves in my family:

William Pygot, who married Anne Bolton of Wadworth on 13th July 1755, St Mary's, Wadworth.
And the couple had the following children; William (bap 4 July 1756), Sarah (bap 24th Feb 1760), Elizabeth (bap 6 April 1763), and Charlotte (bap 6 April 1763).

I can't find a possible baptism for Wm Pygot, but there are two possibilities for Anne Bolton. She was born about 1734 as she was 21 at her marriage to Wm in 1755.

- Anne Bolton, daughter of Richard Bolton. Bap 9 Jul 1735 at Conisbrough.
- Anne Bolton, daughter of Thomas Bolton. Bap 22 Apr 1733 at Conisbrough.