Author Topic: Every Voice Matters  (Read 1031 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Every Voice Matters
« on: Sunday 04 July 21 08:18 BST (UK) »
As family historians and family story tellers, it’s our job to make sure that every voice matters, even the smallest of voices 

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2021/07/04/every-voice-matters/

​​​​​​​
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Every Voice Matters
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
I agree chiddicks. There are certain ancestors I identify with and others not so much. But one of the things I enjoy about my research is finding the people, especially the children,  whose existence had been forgotten due to the passage of time.

When I started researching in the early 80s, I discovered my grandmother had been one of eight children, 5 of whom were still alive in the 1911 census. I found 2 of the 3 deceased in parish records (died as teenagers) but was still missing the final child. I had no idea if I was looking for a boy or girl or when the child was born. Finally, when the older civil records (Ireland) were made available, free, on irishgenealogy.ie, I found her, a girl who had lived only for a couple of minutes. It only took 30+years!  She's now on my tree on Anc., no longer forgotten. I've a particularly soft spot for baby Agnes.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
I agree chiddicks. There are certain ancestors I identify with and others not so much. But one of the things I enjoy about my research is finding the people, especially the children,  whose existence had been forgotten due to the passage of time.

When I started researching in the early 80s, I discovered my grandmother had been one of eight children, 5 of whom were still alive in the 1911 census. I found 2 of the 3 deceased in parish records (died as teenagers) but was still missing the final child. I had no idea if I was looking for a boy or girl or when the child was born. Finally, when the older civil records (Ireland) were made available, free, on irishgenealogy.ie, I found her, a girl who had lived only for a couple of minutes. It only took 30+years!  She's now on my tree on Anc., no longer forgotten. I've a particularly soft spot for baby Agnes.

Thanks frosty knight, Agnes will never be forgotten now thanks to your tenacity and determination to fund her after all these years.

Sadly we sometimes lose the stories of those children that died between the Census years and it’s to easy to forget them. I hope our experience will help to inspire others with their research.

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
The sad fact is that a birth record and a death record make up virtually 100% of the "voice" for children who only lived a day or two.  I'm more concerned with the "voices" of people who lived long lives but left no discernible footprint - mostly women who didn't work outside of the home, who never made it into the newspapers and did not even get a detailed obituary.  I have hundreds of such people who must have been at least a little bit interesting but who are reduced to just a handful of dates.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, late one night, immersed in finding my mother’s many sisters and brothers, suddenly a name came up ,age and just Born——
                                                                         Died——- 
Nothing about a bonny  girl who died aged sixteen from Pernicious Anaemia -,no details of her stoicism  when prescribed eating raw liver in an attempt to get some Vitamin  B12 into her system.
Her thick auburn hair and how painful it was when brushed by her father who did his all his  daughters ‘s hair every evening,a hundred strokes .
Blanche got a gentle few as she got frailer.There were seven girls ,then another was born just before Blanche died.
That baby died aged a few weeks old ,with twins - the baby boys of Blanche’s oldest sister Selene .
I speak of 1883 to 1910 .
So four funerals in as many weeks , how did my grandmother cope with  that??
Well she adopted four children of a neighbour ,husband deserted that family and mother dying from TB .
I know these things from my mother who told us so many stories , but for future FH searchers ,who won’t have access to my notes ,that side of my family history will be lost.
My children are not interested at all, had I had them in hospital I would think they were not really mine!
Viktoria.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 July 21 21:21 BST (UK) »
Some ancestors have caught my imagination more than others, especially the ones who travelled a lot. I just visited Kings Lynn where my ancestor was mayor in the early 1590s and actually bought the St Mary Magdalen old almshouse/hospital in the town in 1594.

My paternal gran's mother from Oxford spent some of her early teens in North London then moved to Sussex by 15 then to Essex.

Plus I have many more ancestors who travelled.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 17:43 BST (UK) »
The sad fact is that a birth record and a death record make up virtually 100% of the "voice" for children who only lived a day or two.  I'm more concerned with the "voices" of people who lived long lives but left no discernible footprint - mostly women who didn't work outside of the home, who never made it into the newspapers and did not even get a detailed obituary.  I have hundreds of such people who must have been at least a little bit interesting but who are reduced to just a handful of dates.

Sometimes we can only get extra context from looking at the lives of friends and extended family members. Using the FAN idea you can at least gain a better understanding of what a typical life would have been like.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 17:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, late one night, immersed in finding my mother’s many sisters and brothers, suddenly a name came up ,age and just Born——
                                                                         Died——- 
Nothing about a bonny  girl who died aged sixteen from Pernicious Anaemia -,no details of her stoicism  when prescribed eating raw liver in an attempt to get some Vitamin  B12 into her system.
Her thick auburn hair and how painful it was when brushed by her father who did his all his  daughters ‘s hair every evening,a hundred strokes .
Blanche got a gentle few as she got frailer.There were seven girls ,then another was born just before Blanche died.
That baby died aged a few weeks old ,with twins - the baby boys of Blanche’s oldest sister Selene .
I speak of 1883 to 1910 .
So four funerals in as many weeks , how did my grandmother cope with  that??
Well she adopted four children of a neighbour ,husband deserted that family and mother dying from TB .
I know these things from my mother who told us so many stories , but for future FH searchers ,who won’t have access to my notes ,that side of my family history will be lost.
My children are not interested at all, had I had them in hospital I would think they were not really mine!
Viktoria.

Such a sad and painful story to tell but all that detail paints a really clear picture. I can just see her father brushing her hair and the wincing from the pain that’s such a vivid memory. You don’t get these stories from just BMD’s it shows the importance of talking to your older relatives. Have you written these stories Viktoria?

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Some ancestors have caught my imagination more than others, especially the ones who travelled a lot. I just visited Kings Lynn where my ancestor was mayor in the early 1590s and actually bought the St Mary Magdalen old almshouse/hospital in the town in 1594.

My paternal gran's mother from Oxford spent some of her early teens in North London then moved to Sussex by 15 then to Essex.

Plus I have many more ancestors who travelled.

We all have those ancestors that capture our imagination more than others and there’s nothing wrong with that. Over the years I have been strangely drawn to some ancestors more than others, it’s hard to describe, but you are just drawn for some unknown reason. Is it ancestral memory? Who knows