Author Topic: Are these the same people signing?  (Read 276 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are these the same people signing?
« on: Sunday 04 July 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have three marriages, from 1814 (Leicester St Nicholas) and nearby St Mary in 1815.

1814 John Hunt married Sarah Tacy, witness William Hunt signed and Mary Hunt made her mark.

1814 Mary Hunt married, she made a mark and witness William Hunt signed. Both William’s sign “Willam”.

1815 William Hunt married but he made a mark, which on the face of it suggests he’s not the same William. However, the witnesses are Sarah Hunt and John Hunt.

(The same?) William, John and Mary Hunt were certainly siblings in this vicinity at this time.

Does John Hunt’s signature suggest the same writer? The reason this is possibly significant is that I think it possible that the same John Hunt married in 1824 in Bolton, apparently as a bachelor (transcript seen, not original) and I haven’t yet found a burial for Sarah.

Dave :)

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are these the same people signing?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 July 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
The 1824 marriage (to Rebecca Roscoe) is on Ancestry and that John made his Mark.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 July 21 11:19 BST (UK) »
Looking at the images I'd say the second and third are the same person. Look at the way both the W and the H are written. The first image is someone else entirely.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 21 12:49 BST (UK) »
The 1824 marriage (to Rebecca Roscoe) is on Ancestry and that John made his Mark.

Interesting. I suppose there could be numerous explanations, the most obvious being that it is not the same John, and the most devious being that the groom didn’t want to sign for dodgy reasons.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 July 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
Looking at the images I'd say the second and third are the same person. Look at the way both the W and the H are written. The first image is someone else entirely.

Unfortunately I haven’t posted the images in the same order that they are mentioned in my post, so the first image shows the name William Hunt,  written by the vicar, beside William’s cross.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 July 21 17:03 BST (UK) »
I would say that images 2 and 3 were written by the same person. Admittedly, the am is joined differently, but the writer obviously didn't sign things regularly, going by the laboured handwriting. And there are a lot of similarities between the 2 signatures.

Interesting is also that in both examples, the person has written Willam, not William (even though 2 dots can be seen in the first image).
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd