Author Topic: Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to the USA  (Read 1199 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to the USA
« on: Sunday 04 July 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have a copy of the Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to the USA by Donald Whyte and would they be willing to look up a couple of names names for me?

1) Elizabeth Armour emigrated in 1820 to Philadelphia with her brother (John) and sister (Jane).  They were born in Argyll, Scotland.
2) James McMurchy born 1831 in Argyll, Scotland.  I do not know when he emigrated but I do know he was in the USA in the late 1850s.  He may have come over with his mother Margaret McShenoig (or McShannon).

Thanks.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to the USA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 21 00:16 BST (UK) »
Is this the James McMurchy you're searching?  There is an extensive obit on his memorial page:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/57403797/jas.-mcmurchy

Iowa Death Certificate:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP2F-S5L1

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 01:10 BST (UK) »
Yes this is the James McMurchy I'm looking for.  I already have some information on him.  One bit of info I don't have is when he emigrated to the USA which is why I'm wondering if he appears in the Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to the USA.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
His obit states he came to Buffalo, NY circa 1847 from Canada.  Have you searched Buffalo records?

Dictionary of Scottish Emmigrants:
Type in a name or scroll:
https://books.google.com/books?id=p29l5Xe6TOEC&q=McShannon#v=onepage&q=Armour&f=false

Doesn't show any "Armour" or "McMurchy" listings

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 12:44 BST (UK) »

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
Wow, these are great thank you!

I had no idea about the Buffalo, NY.  I knew about Iowa and that he had also been in Illinois.

The obit I found had no mention of Buffalo, NY.

I guess there is a lot about James McMurchy that I haven't discovered.

Thanks for checking the Dictionary of Scots Emigrants to USA for me.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 13:33 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.

He seems to have had a ferry named after him:  5th paragraph

http://iagenweb.org/history/rivers/burlingtonpost/mississippiferries.htm

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
Wow, that's really interesting that he had a ferry named after him.  Thank you for sending me all this interesting information that you found.  I wonder, having been the former mayor of Webster City Iowa, if there is any fonds of his information.  I also wonder if it's possible to get any of his service records and records from his employment with the steamboat?

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 13:59 BST (UK) »
What is "fonds?"
Very limited info in books on history of Hamilton co. Iowa.  His obit on f.a.g. gives the most info.

As to his service record, try googling: steamboat "James McMurchy".  There are several mentions of his work in several cities.

******  modified:  steamship to steamboat!!!!