Author Topic: Grandad was an R.A.F. Airfield construction man. Info on postings required.  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Tufty64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandad never talked about the war. What we do know is that he was a time served mech fitter before joining up. We have his R.A.F. record and would like to know some of his movements. In 1942/43 he was with 5201 plant with a 5 day sojourn to T. Smith & sons (Rodley) manufactures of cranes and excavators, perhaps for some training on plant. He was with 5202, 5204 and 5206 squadrons as well as No. 2 school of A.C. prior to these squadron postings. We know he was at Mill Green with 5202 as he sent the Christmas menu to Nana from there. The most important thing my brother and I want to know about is that he was wounded in early 1945 and had shrapnel in the leg and burns on the back and neck until he died. This happened (we believe) in January 1945 while with 5206 squadron.
Prior to joining Airfield construction he was with 83 M.U. at Woolsington as well as being stationed at Acklington and some time during this we believe he was involved with recovery of a German fighter that went down in the Marine Park lake in South Shields. This is something we would like  to be able to confirm.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Binnie, Murdock. Forster, Casey in Durham and Northumberland

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandad was an R.A.F. Airfield construction man. Info on postings required.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 21 10:58 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for his name in any local newspapers to see if events were reported? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Tufty64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Milliepede. A few years ago I did newspaper searches and found nothing regarding his wounds, I did find a report about the German plane going down in the Marine Park but it only said that it had been recovered by a local R.A.F. unit no details were given. I have tried searches on the National Archives and Discovery but find nothing for 520X squadrons.
Binnie, Murdock. Forster, Casey in Durham and Northumberland

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 21 13:29 BST (UK) »
The only thing I can find is a reference to forces-war-records.co.uk which says that 5201 - 5207 were plant squadrons, I don't know if it would be worth searching their site. I believe that site has been acquired by Ancestry or is in the process of being.

Offline Philsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 23 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi-With regard to your Grandad serving in RAF No.83 Maintenance Unit at RAF Woolsington would it be possible to make contact with you about your Grandad and with regard to my interest in researching local aircraft crashes.I live in Gateshead. Thanks,Philip

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 July 23 18:58 BST (UK) »
Tufty,

I don't know if they will help, as you have your Grandad's records - but there are details of RAF Operations on The Genealogist website. This is what the records seemingly show;

More Information
Royal Air Force Operations Record Books

The Air Force Operational Record Books for the Royal Air Force and Allied air squadrons under British command show the daily events of each squadron and provide an accurate historical record of each unit. Detailed information of operational duties include crew lists, aircraft and flight details from the time of formation of each unit and throughout World War 2 and the years following.

I do know that I looked for details of my brother in law's father - and the records showed details of the operation, the crew members - what the weather was like - and the outcome.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 July 23 23:18 BST (UK) »
Quite a few black & white world war two films show planes taking off from grassy airfields.   I found this:-

"Early in the war, the RAF was using grass strips. Later in the war, the Allies tended to have prepared runways

In the UK, there were special runway teams, that would re-concrete a runway in sections, using fast curing concrete. "
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 July 23 19:08 BST (UK) »
Journal number 51 in the list on this page has two pieces about airfield construction in it.
https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/default/raf-historical-society-journals/

S_L