Author Topic: Covid restrictions likely to be lifted on July 19 in England  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Covid restrictions likely to be lifted on July 19 in England
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 04:54 BST (UK) »
I’m in Australia and the situation is different here, but we’ve had lockdowns again recently and NSW has just had its lockdown extended. I heard on the radio this morning that there has been an increase of under 50s and even an under 30 who have had to be hospitalised. They have the Indian variant. Whether that is a trend with the new variants or these people have underlying health issues, I don’t know. I think that erring on the side of caution and continuing to wear masks, socially distancing when possible, hand washing etc, might be wise for a bit longer anyway.  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 07:18 BST (UK) »
I wonder who those advocating wearing masks think they are protecting?

I write that as the protection is specific to the mask.
For example there are N95 masks designed to protect the wearer in industrial situations (workers to dust and small particles ) which are unfit to be worn to protect the wearer against covid-19. There are other N95 masks regulated under product code MSH are class II medical devices which are suitable to protect the wearer (with no facial hair) from  covid-19.

Then there are other types of N95 masks with exhaust valves that protect the wearer but which blast their breath to the local environment and the people around the wearer.

The main thing that masks in general and face coverings do is give the wearer and those about them a feeling of confidence.

What I would say is if you wish to wear a mask, think about why you are wearing it and then get a mask designed for that particular task.
It needs to be a specific type such as a N95s  product code MSH or similar specification single use mask otherwise you are just fooling yourself and possibly even harming others.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
We have a choice to wear or not to wear but I know what I will be doing

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 09:29 BST (UK) »
I only go out if necessary and only wear a face mask if necessary. I will be carrying on the same. I am fortunate in that we have a large garden, and live in a very quiet rural area. Local shops, chemist and PO are busy if they have more than one person in them. I won’t be travelling on the bus, or going into the nearest town, neither am I going on holiday.
So I can’t say I’m not going to wear a mask, it depends on the circumstances.
As for hugging, I’ve never been comfortable with it, especially with non relatives.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
My situation has been similar to mumjo.
No car so public transport if I want to go further than walking distance. I avoided buses during a flu epidemic one winter + practised "social distancing" as much as possible.
Also agree about hugs. Not keen on handshakes either.
Cowban

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
One aspect of the mask issue that hasn't been mentioned is the difficulties they pose to people who can only get to see family members etc if they use public transport. If those people have an exemption, or can only tolerate a mask for a fairly short period, any requirement to wear one will only make it even longer before such journeys can be undertaken.

Guy mentioned that wearing a face mask can give a feeling of confidence; similarly, I think I may have read something that suggested those who wore them may be less likely to observe social distancing or look out for other people. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:18 BST (UK) »
The American Medical Association has recently published a peer reviewed study showing mask wearing to be harmful for children ( https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2781743 ). while I am  a little bit beyond my childhood I would guess that similar results would be likely to be found for older adults and as someone with health problems I do have concerns about the whole mask issue and the lack of adequate research into it. Personally I can't wait for compulsory mask wearing to end.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Wonder if wearing a mask on public transport might encourage people to come and sit next to you.  Isn't mask wearing more to protect others than oneself so I might think it would be better to sit next to a mask wearer so I might be a bit protected than to sit next to someone not wearing a mask, therefore no protection.

Also if queueing one can stand 2m behind the person in front if you want, but I cannot see how you can expect the person behind to stand 2m away from you, when social distancing is no longer required.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 18:43 BST (UK) »

Also if queueing one can stand 2m behind the person in front if you want, but I cannot see how you can expect the person behind to stand 2m away from you, when social distancing is no longer required.

Pheno

You could overcome that in a supermarket queue by having your trolley behind you rather than in front I suppose.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk