Author Topic: Requisition of horses in WW1  (Read 481 times)

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Requisition of horses in WW1
« on: Tuesday 06 July 21 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Perhaps I am posting this in the wrong section (however the way I view it is, The UK National Archives in London, therefore where better?! ;)

I hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction with regards to records of farmers and carters who had their horse requisitioned at the outbreak of WW1? My ancestors ran a farm as well as a haulage company in Dumbartonshire, Scotland (with stabling for six horses, although used twice that number when undertaking bigger contracts). They ran their haulage business between the mid 19th century and 1932.

I had never thought to research this before (or indeed hadn't crossed my mind before!), but I believe they may have had some of their horse requisitioned by the army at the outbreak of war and was wondering if anyone hear knows of the best records to view at TNA. After a little digging I did notice that Applications for Compensations are stored at TNA under reference TS46. However I was wondering what details may be recorded (e.g. how many horses requisitioned, name of farmer/ owner of the horses, name of farm, how much was compensated etc) and if there is any further records you might recommend for me to view.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Darren  ;D

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Requisition of horses in WW1
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thousands of horses were requisitioned and huge numbers were shipped in from America. You will find some information on the Remount Regiments on the Long Long Trail.

Sorry about the long link, shrinking it doesn’t work on my tablet.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/the-army-service-corps-remounts-service/
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.