Author Topic: Victorian Pulborough  (Read 627 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Victorian Pulborough
« on: Tuesday 06 July 21 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I was wondering if any of you lovely people could assist me. I'm a primary school teacher and I'm looking to update our history topics for next academic year.

One of my favourite topics I studied at primary school was the Victorians. We traced the Victorian villagers from the 1881 census. We located their houses and their graves etc and really got to know them and their lives in Victorian times. This topic sparked my passion for history and lead to me research my family tree etc and I would love to recreate this with my class.

I know I can access the 1881 census for free through the family search website but it is requiring me to search for names rather than just the village. I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain how I can search for just the village or point me in the right direction for somewhere else I can find the 1881 census pages for free? Ideally I'd love the entire village census returns. Obviously Ancestry etc are unaffordable for a school budget and I've already used all my various emails for the 7 day free trials previously for my own family tree research.

Anyhow, if anyone can help I'm after census returns for Pulborough, West Sussex.

Thank you in anticipation.
Legs xx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Pulborough
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
The 1881 census transcription is free on ancestry and findmypast, you have to pay to see images. They both use the same transcript created all those years ago by the LDS and FFHS.
Just need to be registered. You should be able to search the whole village more easily than on FamilySearch.

Don't forget that images of the Pulborough parish registers can be seen on FamilySearch.
As can the 1861 census, first enumeration district starts here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89L2-497N

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I'll try Ancestry now. Ideally, I'd like to be able to show the children the original returns. Are the LDS originals still available on Family Search? If so I can search the transcripts on Ancestry, find the names and then search the originals on Family Search.

Thank you for the PR tip, I'd forgotten about that. It's been a while since I have dallied in family tree research.

Thanks again,
Legs xx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't think 1881 images are free anywhere, and sadly they can't be seen on FamilySearch.
You could take advantage of any free weekend on, say, ancestry to get hold of the images (perhaps I shouldn't say that! Moderators ignore!)
Some library card holders whose authority subscribes to it still have access to ancestry library edition at home. This has been running since last year because of the pandemic, and is scheduled to finish at the end of this. It varies from place to place though.

A few more
1841 transcripts for Pulborough on Sussex Online Parish Clerks
http://www.sussex-opc.org/index.php?t=censusreturn&y=1&p=445

The images will be on FamilySearch, quality may not be good though.

1861, 1871 are on FreeCen
Once you have found someone you can move from one dwelling to the next
https://www.freecen.org.uk/

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
Ah! What a shame. I'm sure I used to be able to see the 1881 returns for free. I'm not sure I will have the time over the summer to sort and go through house by house. Might have to put my Victorian dream on hold and plan something which needs a bit less leg work! Vikings here I come! :)
WL-Williams

Online artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
It might be worth phoning West Sussex Library services and explain your situation etc. and see what services they can provide on line for you.. As you mentioned Pulborough I assume that's where or near where your school is so also call into Pulborough library or phone them as well/instead of.  Numbers on West Sussex library web site.

If you can find the 1881 census free via the library or elsewhere why not just select a few properties to look at to give the children an overview of who was there.

The following link takes you to the side by side maps for Pulborough, one half now and the other in 1892/1914 OS

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.95692&lon=-0.51180&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Great shout xx
WL-Williams