Author Topic: Are these the same people signing?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are these the same people signing?
« on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
I have quite a bit of circumstantial evidence to suggest that John Hunt who married in 1814 was the brother of William Hunt who married in 1815, but I’d appreciate an opinion on the signatures. I can see similarities but also some differences. One point that does occur to me is that these people probably didn’t write a great deal, so I’m not sure to what extent they’d have developed a distinctive and consistent signature.

The first image shows the parties to the 1814 marriage, the second the witnesses to the 1815 marriage.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Are these the same people signing?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 July 21 18:00 BST (UK) »
I’m no expert but I’d say they’re by the same hand.

I’ve often thought the same, people didn’t often need to sign and they would have been prsented with a strange pen to use; no wonder signatures differed.

The signature on my grandfather’s marriage entry is nothing like that on his Merchant Navy records.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
I’m no expert but I’d say they’re by the same hand.

I’ve often thought the same, people didn’t often need to sign and they would have been prsented with a strange pen to use; no wonder signatures differed.

The signature on my grandfather’s marriage entry is nothing like that on his Merchant Navy records.

I think your point about the pen is good. It looks to me that in the lower image, for example, John Hunt is having a problem with the pen as evidenced by the crossing of the “t”.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 21 22:01 BST (UK) »
Most of the letter spacing of the two signatures appears similar, especially the distinctive o and h in John.

The capital H in the surname for both signatures has a similar shape - wide and open.
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
It's a yes from me.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 21 04:57 BST (UK) »
Quite likely to be written by the same person.

Added: Both Sarah’s look to be written by the same Sarah too.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 July 21 05:07 BST (UK) »
I agree with Ruskie, fully supportive on the Sarah signature too.

With tongue in cheek, may I note that that's a well recognised face in that photo in our OP's avatar at present.    :D   :D  :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 July 21 05:17 BST (UK) »
I also note that Sarah has a much more confident hand than John, particularly in the second signature.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 July 21 05:22 BST (UK) »
I agree with Ruskie, fully supportive on the Sarah signature too.

With tongue in cheek, may I note that that's a well recognised face in that photo in our OP's avatar at present.    :D   :D  :D

JM

Do you mean Wayne’s avatar? Dave doesn’t seem to have one.  :)