Author Topic: A quick bit of Latin naming...  (Read 304 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
A quick bit of Latin naming...
« on: Friday 09 July 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
I'm having fun with Latin at the moment  ::)

Walterus (Walter...) and Johannula had a number of children. I made the mistake of assuming Johannula was probably Johanna, but have since found out she's actually Jennett. Provided I have the right family, I know her brother's name, his wife's first name, her two sisters' names and who they married (can I find any of them? No... no I cannot)

The children are:
Johannes, Peterus, Thomas, Jacobus, David, Johanes, Hester, and Unknown.

I have been poking at this and found a burial for a Jonah. I had to then wonder- what would Jonah latinise to? Would it go to Johannes (or variations) or would it have a different one? It might mean that I actually have a John and a Jonah.

I have a few Jacobs dotted around the Welsh lines but I just realised that on this occasion it could well be James instead (that took me a while!) I'm assuming Jacob would also become Jacobus so could be either.

This lot are a nuisance no matter which language, frankly  ::)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A quick bit of Latin naming...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 July 21 00:40 BST (UK) »
Jonah is Ionas or Jonas in Latin. Your Johannes and Johanes seem to be two sons called John, the older presumably having died before the birth of the younger.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: A quick bit of Latin naming...
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 July 21 01:18 BST (UK) »
Ah, thanks. That was my original assumption but thought I'd better check! I appear to be descended from one of them. John LEWIS in Wales is a bit of a dead end though lol