Author Topic: Richardes family Penglais  (Read 1246 times)

Offline JJonesThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richardes family Penglais
« on: Saturday 10 July 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This subject has briefly been mentioned in previous threads, but I haven’t gone into much detail. One of my ancestors, Mary James, gave birth to a daughter called Avarina James (born March 23rd, 1854), later to be married to David Warrington. Another in specific certificate there is no mention of the father.

According to family gossip, Mary had a liaison with somebody she worked for, apparently from the Richardes family. I have been told that he was the second son, and he went off in the Navy or army, and possibly went to India.

I’m doing some research, I think the Man she possibly had a liaison with is called Roderick William Richards, of the Penglais estate in Aberystwyth.

Avarina before she married lived with her mother and father in waunfawr, in Aberystwyth. We have been told that she was given a property possibly through having her liaison, but unsure if this is true?

I’m wondering if there are any of the Richardes family on ancestry DNA, so I can see if there are any DNA links? The story could be hearsay, but it apparently has passed through the generations.

Of course there is no way of knowing, but it would be good to try and find out who Avarina‘s father was?

Offline Althadet

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richardes family Penglais
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 23 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, my step-dad is Roderick Richardes' great nephew. His mother was Roderick's niece.
I spoke to my mother earlier and she said there was only one son.
Kind regards