Author Topic: Royal Artillery  (Read 302 times)

Offline hgs46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Artillery
« on: Tuesday 13 July 21 00:44 BST (UK) »
My 4xgtgf Charles Brechin probably born in Methlick was baptised 12 Jan 1772 in Ellon, Aberdeenshire. NA WO69/1/584 – Folio 33 – has Charles Brichin of RA Soldiers Unit, 1 Battalion enlisting 1795 aged 22. (Note said he was transferred 1804.) Another NA record has him as Chas Breechen, a Mason. He was transferred to H Brigade 1 June 1799. I found in Ireland Diocesan & Prerogative Wills and Administration Indexes 1595-1858. "1808 - Charles Brichen, Sgt. Royal Artillery, Island Bridge, Co. Dublin.”

Received another military document stating "(46) C Troop - gunners - Brichin Charles Gr - age 22 - height 5ft 7-1/2" - inlisted 20 Mar (17)95 (no mention of where). Born Scotland (Nation), Aberdeen (County), Milnback? (city/town), Breen (parish), Mason (trade). Can read and write, fair complexion, dark hair, hazel eyes. Mustered - 1st Battalion, Troop F. 1 June (17)99. Transferred to Corps G (?Div ..can't read) 1 October 1804.”

Note : I think that Milnback is mis-transcription of Methlick; and Breen should be Brainjohn.

Charles Brichan of South Weald, Essex married there on 2 June 1796. The banns had him listed as Charles Brechan. Son George was baptised Brentwood, Essex on 20 May 1798. When this son married (2nd) in Aberdeen in 1872 he described his father as Quartermaster Sergeant, Royal Horse Artillery, dec.

In 1851 Census in Aberdeen, Scotland a second son Henry was listed as born in Ireland (British Subject) cal 1808. In 1871 it states he was born Dublin. On Henry’s death certificate (1881) his father was noted as Charles Brechin, Sergeant Royal Artillery, dec.  Henry’s gravestone included the death of his mother Ann Abbly in 1827, the numerous children who pre-deceased him, and others who died after him. No mention of his father’s death was included. I would add that I found a note of the burial of Ann Abel in Aberdeen in 1827, reported as wife of Lieut Charles Brechens.

The various versions of surnames hasn’t made this search easy, nor the differing descriptions of Charles’ rank. Am I correct in thinking that he probably died in Ireland around 1808 a Sergeant. I wonder why this would not be recorded along with other family monumental inscriptions. And is there any way I can find where and when he served. I'm a wee bit out of my depth.