Author Topic: Who were William and Harriet (née Elbro) Calenton, married in 1835?  (Read 407 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who were William and Harriet (née Elbro) Calenton, married in 1835?
« on: Tuesday 13 July 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi folks - apologies in advance for a long one :)

I previously mentioned William & Harriet Calenton as a bit of a postscript at the tail-end of a previous thread, and received welcome help from Emsworthy (thank you!). However, new evidence has now come to light which means I need to think afresh about them. Essentially I believe Harriet Calenton née Elbro must have been closely connected with my 3x ggm Harriet Haynes née Elbro, and I would like to find the link so as to advance my knowledge of the rather difficult Elbro family (originally from Stow on the Wold, Gloucestershire).

Previous thread here: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=835003.msg7003927#msg7003927

I previously thought the Calenton marriage in 1835 (detailed below) was likely to be a first marriage for my Harriet Elbro (1811-1877). I am descended from her marriage to William Haynes in 1839.  However it is now clear that the Calentons had a daughter as late as 1845, so the two couples overlap and the Harriets, though of similar ages, must be separate people.

Basic (tentative) chronology of the Calentons:

21 Apr 1835: Marriage at St George Hanover Square of Harriet Elbro to William Calenton (or Caleington in the banns book) - both of the parish - witnessed by Thomas Daly and Sophia Bentley.

21 May 1835: Baptism in Lambeth of Henry Callindon, parents William (servant) & Harriet, of Bridge St.

24 Mar 1836: Burial in Westminster of a Henry Calenton of 11 Kensington Place, aged “3 months”.  ???

11 Feb 1845: Birth at Holborn Lying-In Hospital of a daughter to Harriet Calenton wife of William, a labourer, settlement “Stoke”. Indexed as Girl Calenton on Ancestry and Female Calenton on birth reg, mmn Elbro. The age of the mother Harriet is noted in the hospital register as 35, so born about 1810.

I have nothing further on them - no census entries or death registrations.

Emsworthy found a promising William Callenden baptised on 26th November 1795 at St Mary Lambeth, to a mother named Mary. I haven’t been able to find him subsequently.

The marriage witness Sophia Bentley is important because she also witnessed the marriage of “my” Harriet Elbro to William Haynes, 5 May 1839 at St Mary Lambeth, and was lodging with Harriet Haynes’ relative Rebecca Sullivan as late as 1861. I had a bit of a look into her on the old thread at reply #24 - I have no reason to think she was related to any of the people mentioned on the thread, but she may have taken in lodgers and become close to them. It’s possible there’s a deeper link that I haven’t found. She was born Sophia Manwaring in Cranbrook, Kent c1800, and married Nathaniel Bentley in Wimbledon in 1822 - he died in 1839.

NB “my” Harriet Elbro was born in 1811 in Stow on the Wold and - I believe - baptised in Lower Swell, Gloucestershire as the daughter of single woman Mary Ann Elbro. I’d like to be sure I haven’t accidentally picked up the wrong baptism given that this other Harriet seems to be much the same age.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who were William and Harriet (née Elbro) Calenton, married in 1835?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 04:18 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it is relevant but Sophia MANWARING was baptised at Cranbrook on 25 Dec 1800, parents William and Sarah. A few William and Sarah marriages around in that time period so could be any of them. Although some online trees have her as daughter of William MANWARING and Sarah CRAMPTON married at Cranbrook in 1785.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that, Ian - you have added to my knowledge about Sophia :)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 August 22 14:36 BST (UK) »
Update to this old thread: I have now found a mysterious Mary Ann Calendon, discharged from St Pancras Workhouse aged 1 week on 29 Dec 1856 “taken out by friends”. Nothing more.

It’s slim pickings with these people!

Thanks to all for help.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 22 15:09 BST (UK) »
Update to this old thread: I have now found a mysterious Mary Ann Calendon, discharged from St Pancras Workhouse aged 1 week on 29 Dec 1856 “taken out by friends”. Nothing more.

It’s slim pickings with these people!

Thanks to all for help.

Giving considerable leeway, this baby may have been the child registered Pancras Dec qtr 1856 as Emma Calender, and her mother may be the Sarah Callender who died aged 25, Pancras Dec qtr 1856. Possibly a complete red herring.