Author Topic: Trying to locate grave of Grandmother - Scotland  (Read 1813 times)

Offline diane747

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to locate grave of Grandmother - Scotland
« on: Wednesday 14 July 21 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this forum (and to researching my family tree), and am hoping that someone can please assist me with finding my grandmother's grave.  (I am in Australia so am finding researching in Scotland a bit difficult from here.)

I am not sure which cemetery or even town she was buried but she died at Fever Hospital, Dunfermline, FIFE, Scotland on 4 June 1942, aged 21, so I suspect she was buried somewhere in FIFE. 

Her name was Helen Brady but was born Nellie McAllister (in Ashton Under Lyne in England).

Her husband's name was John Brady and she had a son (my father), also named John Brady. 

From what I can tell, she had lived in Scotland - Glasgow, Edinburgh then FIFE - since she was about 9 years old, after her mother Mary (Spruce) McAllister died in England.  Her father (John McAllister) was also deceased at the time of her death (died in Glasgow).   

Finding her birth, marriage and death records has been quite a feat and I am still struggling to find any record of her burial. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Diane

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate grave of Grandmother - Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
Your grandmother's death certificate should give her usual residence, which may indicate where she was buried. 

The Fife Free Press of 20 June 1942 has a death notice for Helen McAllister who died on 4 June 1942 at West Fife Hospital, Dunfermline, wife of John Brady, jun., 8 Maple Street, Kirkcaldy.

Margow

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There are some Brady burials showing on Find a Grave. I searched for just Fife Scotland and the surname Brady. I can't see Helen's entry but sometimes any mention of other family members sometimes can give clues.

www.findagrave.com/memorial/search?firstname=&middlename=&lastname=brady&birthyear=&birthyearfilter=&deathyear=&deathyearfilter=&location=Fife%2C+Scotland&locationId=state_4684&memorialid=&mcid=&linkedToName=&datefilter=&orderby=r&page=1#sr-144070688

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diane747

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 July 21 02:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica and Margow for your replies.
Monica, I have tried Find a Grave with all sorts of configuration of names with no luck I am afraid, but will try again just in case I missed something.
Margow, thank you so much for finding that information in the Fife Free Press.  I wasn't even aware of it so it will be a great resource.  Yes, that is my grandmother!  From the death certificate I think she was living at Rosyth at the time (she died in Hospital, as per the newspaper notice).  I will do some more checking - especially using her maiden name, given that is the name in the newspaper.
Many thanks, once again.
Diane

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 July 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
A belated welcome to Rootschat !
I note that Helen McAllister's death notice refers to her husband's address as 8 Maple Street, Kirkcaldy.  The nearest cemetery to Maple Street is Hayfield Cemetery and <findagrave.com> does show a Brady headstone there for John Brady d. 1951 aged 62, his wife Jane Buist d. 1984 aged 93 and three of their children, Thomas, Jim and Jane - possibly relatives ?  However, I am afraid that neither your grandmother nor her husband are listed here.

Margow

Offline diane747

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 04:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margow (and Monica for your link that shows the grave of my relatives at Hayfield Cemetery).
The people you mention Margow that are buried at Hayfield Cemetery are my Great Grandparents (John Brady and Jane Buist Brady) and some of their children (my great aunts and uncles). 
As you noted, my grandfather was not buried there (nor my grandmother).
I have been able to find out my grandfather (John Brady) died in 1959 in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe and was buried there, although I have not been able to find his grave yet).
My grandmother, Helen (McAllister) Brady's burial place is still a mystery unfortunately - although exciting news is that I think we may have found some living relatives of her younger brother (now deceased), in Glasgow, so are hoping they might connect with us (and fingers crossed may also have some information about where Helen is buried).
Kind regards,
Diane

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 09:30 BST (UK) »
A belated welcome from me too.

Please try Fife Council as they hold the records for burials. Very easy to use as it is all done online nowadays.

Google FIFE COUNCIL BEREAVEMENT SERVICES then scroll right down to the bottom of the page until you reach Family History Enquiry. This then takes you to an enquiry form. Fill in as much information as you can e.g. last known address, maiden name etc. and email it to them.

It may take some time to get a reply but they are usually very efficient.

Good luck with your search and please let us know the outcome.

Dorrie

P.S. Exciting news indeed that you may have found some living relatives.
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline diane747

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you so much Dorrie, that is wonderful information!  I will most certainly do a search and complete as much information as I can on the form.  I'll keep you posted.
Kind regards,
Diane

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
No problem Dianne. That is what this forum is all about.

I have one pending myself with Fife Council so hope we are both successful in locating the final resting place of our ancestors.

Take Care,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife