Author Topic: Baptism of Henry Belcher about 1725 Berks  (Read 1413 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Henry Belcher about 1725 Berks
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 July 21 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Arising from "Sloe Gin's" suggestion, I contacted the  Wilts History Centre and have receieved the attached reply;

I'm in the process of letting the OxonFHS knwo of this finding (who produced the latest Hanney CD), but the question is, are there any more entries missing.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 July 21 07:36 BST (UK) »
Glad you have the answer.  So the Will of Henry 1741 mentioning his Wife, Mary is your line.

Looking at the transcribed Wills  - link given earlier.....  The detailed Will of Jonathan BELCHER of East Hanney 1 February 1729/30 - will take you back another generation.

I Jonathan Belcher of East Hanney - Yeoman
Joseph, Richard, Henry, Jonathan - Sons
Mary - daughter-in-law
Ann BECKATT  - daughter

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 July 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
Berkshire Records Office have produced BRO New Landscapes, which are on line

http://www.berkshireenclosure.org.uk

Various maps (including West Hanney) detailed map 1839 shows the plot of Jeremiah BELCHER.

Also under the Award Index - if you search for BELCHER - lots of documents.....

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 July 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
Glad that gap has been filled - and Family Search was spot on!

It's inconvenient that the records are so dispersed, but always worth remembering the Wiltshire connection.  They hold some Berkshire wills too.

You've prompted me to look again for one of my missing baptisms which is supposed to be at Hanney, but a century earlier.  I looked at the PR at Berks RO but no joy, and I don't think I tried Wiltshire - at that time I probably didn't know they had the BTs.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 August 22 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have a Henry Belcher in my tree and am having difficulty in locating his baptism and place.

Trees on Any... are saying he was bapt. 26-7-1729 in Lambourn, Berks (s/o Henry) or on F/Search bapt. 26-7-1724 in West Hanney, Berks.

My problem is; I have a transcript of the Lambourne baptisms and he does not appear  and,  I also have fiche records for West Hanney and the latest CD from the Oxon FHS which contains updated details for West Hanney and again I cannot see his entry in either of these sets of records.

Can anyone please see if they can locate a baptism for him please?

Looking at the entries for 1724 in W.Hanney I note there are only 10 baptisms which to me suggests that  some might have been missed. If not, then where does F/Search get there info from.

Any help most appreciated,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Is this Henry Belcher the same Henry Belcher who married Anne Roberts 30 May 1750, Great Coxwell? If this matches in your tree would you happen to also have the name of Henry's mother? I see his father is noted here as Henry also.

Thank you, Kirst

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 August 22 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirst,

I see there is a marriage of Henry Belcher to Ann Roberts in Gt.Coxwell but unfortunately the record does'nt say where there're from.

I do have a Henry bapt. 26-7-1724 West Hanney the s/o Henry & Mary ?? in my tree but not sure who he married and have'nt followed them back.

Henry (the father) was bapt. 14-2-1698/9 West Hanney s/o John & Ann (nee dew) who was covered in my reply on the "Belcher Ancestry".

Sorry I don't have more precise info for you. One big problem is that there are so many "Belchers" around the villages in Berks which makes it so much harder.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Yes, there being many with this name does create challenges. The trees I've seen cause confusion.

I wonder but it seems we may share some of the same Belchers.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.