Author Topic: Roderick McLeod born abt 1847 and his siblings  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McLeod born abt 1847 and his siblings
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 July 21 02:24 BST (UK) »
Debra, thanks for the marriage and the birth info for Margaret.  Kiltearn is also close to Evanton which is where Roderick may have been born in 1847 (unfortunately, I can no longer find the source of that info).
Information regarding birth is in his obit in Australian papers. See here
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/113173708?searchTerm=“Roderick%20mcleod”

Marriage record was already posted on your other thread for this family, along with the suggestion that obtaining the document may provide additional information.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 July 21 02:40 BST (UK) »
There is a difference between Everton, Rothsay and Evanton, Ross-shire.  Which is why I had said it had been suggested.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 July 21 02:46 BST (UK) »
Debra, thanks for the marriage and the birth info for Margaret.  Kiltearn is also close to Evanton which is where Roderick may have been born in 1847 (unfortunately, I can no longer find the source of that info).
Information regarding birth is in his obit in Australian papers. See here
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/113173708?searchTerm=“Roderick%20mcleod”

Marriage record was already posted on your other thread for this family, along with the suggestion that obtaining the document may provide additional information.

May I support Neale’s post and confirm the following
On an historic Qld bdm marriage registration you will find responses recorded for questions on
Date and place for the marriage
The full names for the couple, including former names
Their ages when marrying,
Their birthplaces
Their status (bachelor/spinster/widower/widow/divorced petitioner etc
The occupations
Their fathers names and occupations
Their mothers’ names, including maiden name if possible
The names of the witnesses
The name of the officiating minister or registrar

Your plastic card can download the historic image and is a far better option, in my opinion, that the fancy papercopy certificate.

JM

ADD
You can contact a volunteer Moderator for help changing the topic heading on all the posts by using the Report to Moderator button.  It just needs to be tweaked to 1916 instead of 1917.

I still cannot find any mention of 1838 in the obits.

I read Rod'k not Rob't on the NSW archives digitisation papers

Do you have the Qld BDM bdm documents.

JM

No.

The Qld bdm marriage cert would likely have first hand info given by Roderick, including responses to ...

:) when and where born (sometimes including village, not just name of country)

:) Parents names including mother's maiden name,

Birth cert for youngest child can give details of all older siblings, plus when and where that baby's parents were born, and when and where mar ried...  the admin system was very detailed and informant driven on verbal responses in  mid to late 1800s....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 July 21 02:54 BST (UK) »
I am just doing research in the least expensive way possible. 

Neale1961 post did remind me that Norman McLeod of Ravensbourne, Queensland (Roderick b1847's brother) was still alive when Roderick died.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 July 21 03:09 BST (UK) »
I am just doing research in the least expensive way possible. 

Neale1961 post did remind me that Norman McLeod of Ravensbourne, Queensland (Roderick b1847's brother) was still alive when Roderick died.

fair enough, so the two obits that Neale and I have mentioned on your current thread on the Australia board give you quality details.   There are newspaper cuttings that give you info about some issues that the family faced in the 1860s, including court action in Queensland, but I did not glean clues to their earlier lives, so I will leave it for you to consider.

Good Luck in your searchings.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 July 21 03:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I have only small experience with Australian records, but with Scottish records what is indexed is sometimes all you get or one line which says the same.  I looked up some records for McLeods over 100 years old and all I discovered was that nobody knew who their parents were and that the informant was unrelated.  Alternatively, some have given both parent names and the relationship of the informant.  Or as often happens in Scotland the very old, with no close family, die in the poorhouse.

I've tried looking for Norman McLeod of Ravensbourne, Queensland.  No doubt 91 year-old Christina McLeod would have recorded his details when she died and I am making it harder than I need to.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 July 21 03:37 BST (UK) »
If Norman McLeod married Letitia Emily Wakefield in 1867 (you would need to obtain the marriage record to know if he is the correct man  ::))
- then he died on the Gold Coast (Qld) on 14 Aug 1923.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 July 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
If Norman McLeod married Letitia Emily Wakefield in 1867 (you would need to obtain the marriage record to know if he is the correct man  ::))
- then he died on the Gold Coast (Qld) on 14 Aug 1923.
The death reference on the Queensland BDM web site says that the parents of this Norman McLeod were Alexander McLeod and Christina McLean.

There's also a death notice in the Brisbane Courier: McLEOD - At his residence, High-street, Southport, on August 14th, Norman McLeod, formerly of Nerang Creek, farmer, at the age of 81 years.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 July 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, thanks for looking.  Norman McLeod of Ravensbourne will be older than 65 for sure but in 1923 he would be 72.