Author Topic: DNA Beginner - Have I found my Kitcherside connection?  (Read 415 times)

Online antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Beginner - Have I found my Kitcherside connection?
« on: Thursday 15 July 21 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

It's three weeks now since my Ancestry DNA results came in and I'm getting on quite well with sorting my matches into some sort of order. So far my traditional research is being confirmed and no one seems to have been 'playing away'.

The main reason for me testing was to try and prove or disprove that my 2xG Grandmother Mary Ann Thomas was the daughter of James Thomas and Caroline Kitcherside. Most evidence points to this being the case but on her marriage to my 2xG Grandfather William Holden in 1877 Mary Ann's father is given as John, not James. Earlier this year I had lots of help and advice on my Rootschat  thread about this puzzle.

My closest match is to my Dad's brother, uncle 'I' at 1932cm over 59 segments. 'I' is a Great Grandson of William and Mary Ann.

I also match to 'P' at 123cm/4 and his son 'K' at 52cm/2. 'P' and 'K' are Great Grandson and 2xG Grandson of William and Mary Ann.

Also in my Holden group is 'A' at 51cm/3, another 2xG Grandson.

Then it started to get exciting. I match 'L' at 10cm/1 and 'N' at 19cm/1 . Thrulines for both 'L' and 'N' is saying that our shared ancestors are James Kitcherside  and Frances/Fanny Street. James and Frances are showing as Grandparents of Caroline Kitcherside, potential mother of 'my' Mary Ann. Thrulines has 'L' and 'N' as fifth cousins once removed to me and third cousins to each other descended from an Aaron Adsett.

I have no shared matches with either 'L' or 'N'. Not even each other.

A google of 'N' led to a detailed website of the Adsett family history.

I have started to work a tree backwards, forwards and sideways from Aaron Adsett found on the 1841 census. So far my findings are confirming the Thrulines and Adsett website as correct. They are big families and a large proportion of them emigrate to Australia from the 1850s so lots to look at yet.

So is this my Kitcherside connection proved? Two things are bothering me:

1/ Am I going about this the right way?

2/ Should I be concerned that none of my Holden matches, known descendants of William and Mary Ann are shared matches to me with 'L' or 'N'? Or is this accounted for by the reduced chance of fifth cousins and beyond matching?

Thanks for reading to the end. Any advice or suggestions are very welcome.

Best regards, Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.