Author Topic: Finding Jane Clarkes death  (Read 462 times)

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Finding Jane Clarkes death
« on: Friday 16 July 21 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wasn't sure where to put this as its going to be a needle in a haystack and may involve a death which could be in one of a few different countries. I am looking for the death of Jane Clarke between 1831 and 1871 in either Canada, Ireland, England or India

Jane McGaveston was baptised 1 Sep 1799 at St Andrew's, Dublin City, Ireland. She was the daughter of Nicholas McGaveston and Rosana Higgins. This was Nicholas second marriage with his first wife being Mary Kelly. I have both marriages and Nicholas death in 1823. I have no burial record for either wife.

Jane married Laurence Clarke on 16 Jul 1820 in Booterstown, Dublin, Ireland. The witnesses were: Patrick Dowling and Elen Reade.

In 1821 Laurence enlisted in the 56th regiment of foot stating he was born in 1802 and baptised at St Michaels. He was discharged in 1842 and retired to Canada.

They had at least 2 children:

Mary Jane Clarke born 15 Jun 1826 and baptised 24 Sep 1826 in Hull Chapel in Jarrett Street, North Sculcoates, York, England. Father listed as Laurence Clarke. Mother listed as Jane Mc Ganerstone.

Laurence Clarke Jr was born in 1831 and baptised 14 Aug 1831 in the Barracks, Fermoy, Co Cork, Ireland. Father listed as Laurence Clerk and mother as Jane Clerk.

Laurence Clarke Sr retired to Quebec, Canada. Arrival Year: 1842,.Arrival Place: Quebec, Canada. Primary Immigrant: Clarke, Lawre. Source Publication Code 1416.5.Date of pension award and place of residence abroad. Extracted from registers W.O. 120, Volumes 35, 69, and 70, located at the Public Record Office in Kew, England. Also available on microfilm at Canada's National Archives at Ottawa, Ontario, MG 13, W.O.

I cant find Laurence Sr in any census in Canada.

In 1844 Mary Jane Clarke married Augustus Thomas Bryant at the Garrison Anglican Church, Montreal, Québec, Canada.

Mary Jane Bryant and Augustus Thomas Bryant had at least 3 children.

1. Francis (Fanny) Jane Bryant (1845–1934) born around 1845 possibly in Nova Scotia, Canada but later census records say Scotland, England, and Halifax (America). Died in Scotland
2. Alice Augusta Bryant b 8 Nov 1857 in India d?
2. Augustus Thomas Bryant b and d 1860 in India.

1 Nov 1853 Laurence Sr was listed as being in Leeds, Lancashire, England (pension record). Im not sure this is a correct record. The record set is 60-69 regiment

In 1855 Laurence Clarke Jr marries Jane Bell in Fort Rae, Saskatchewan District, Rupert's Land, British America and has at least 7 children.

In the 1871 English census Laurence Sr is living in St Maurice, Hampshire, England. Visiting him is his son Laurence Jr and niece Alice Bryant. Laurence Sr is listed as a widower. Jane dies before this date.

Laurence Sr moves to Scotland and dies 9 July 1976 in Monkton, Ayr. His daughter puts up a headstone for him which is on findagrave. His daughter is added later to the headstone. The headstone has the wrong spelling if his first name and wrong death date so most likely put up years after his death.
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick