Author Topic: Matthew Ogden, besom maker of Birdwell  (Read 563 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Matthew Ogden, besom maker of Birdwell
« on: Saturday 17 July 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

My 8x great grandfather was Matthew Ogden (born approx 1693, died 1783). He was a besom (broom) maker of Birdwell, and married Mary Wood on 18th May 1725 at Wentworth (where he is said to be of the parish of Darfield).
They had 9 children together (all baptised at Worsbrough);
- Anthony (1725-1804) - my ancestor, also a besom maker.
- Matthew (1727-1728)
- Mary (b.1728)
- Sarah (1730-1732)
- Joseph (1732-1733)
- Martha (1734-1735)
- Anne (1736-1737)
- Charles (1738-1739)
- Peter (1740-1763)

Matthew Ogden then married Ann Wharam when his first wife died. They had the children;
- Hannah (b.1745)
- William (b.1747)
- Matthew (b.1748)

Matthew Ogden died, aged 90, in October 1783 in Worsbrough. He was buried 19th Oct 1783.

I cannot find Matthew Ogden's birth or baptism, and therefore his parents or siblings. I would really like to trace this family further back as they seem to have had an interesting occupation and heritage.
I found a picture of their home, Besom Cottage, online. And a local history page said that the Ogden family had the use of a swampy woodland called Rickley Wood, just behind Besom Cottage, where they harvested wood for making brooms. It is also noted that Besom Cottage 'showed signs of 18th century improvements as a measure of improving status and life-style', and says that the Ogden family had an association with the church.

Any help with finding more information, especially the baptism and parents, of Matthew Ogden would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.