Author Topic: Reid family Swinford  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reid family Swinford
« on: Monday 19 July 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I'd really like to know more about the Irish side of my family. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Irish records(?) I have a direct branch that leads me back to County Mayo, Ireland. The names and information I have are:

• Dominic Reid - Father of Michael and likely never emigrated from Ireland. His name appears on a marriage certificate of Michael Reid and Sophia Perkins dated 8th September 1883. I have no further information on Dominic.
  • Michael (c. 1827 - 1890) and Mary Reid (c. 1827 - 1882) - Emigrated from Ireland sometime between 1860-1872(?) and settled in Atherstone, Warwickshire. Birthplace's listed as Swinford, Mayo in 1881 census. Buried in Atherstone.
  • John Reid (c. 1852 - 1904) - Son of Michael and Mary. Birthplace listed as Swinford in 1881 census, Salmonby(?) in 1891 census and Mays(possibly Mayo?) in 1901 census. Must have emigrated with his parents. He married Elizabeth Starkey from Warwickshire in 1871.

Any tips on where to get started or information on the individuals listed would be much appreciated.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reid family Swinford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 21 16:54 BST (UK) »
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0133

Swineford parish registers on this link - free-   worth searching if they were RC denomination. 

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Civil registrations for births and deaths commenced 1864, Civil marriages from 1845 and all marriages from 1864.  free to search.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 21 18:44 BST (UK) »

• Dominic Reid - Father of Michael and likely never emigrated from Ireland. His name appears on a marriage certificate of Michael Reid and Sophia Perkins dated 8th September 1883. I have no further information on Dominic.
    • John Reid (c. 1852 - 1904) - Son of Michael and Mary. Birthplace listed as Swinford in 1881 census, Salmonby(?) in 1891 census and Mays(possibly Mayo?) in 1901 census. Must have emigrated with his parents. He married Elizabeth Starkey from Warwickshire in 1871.
    Any tips on where to get started or information on the individuals listed would be much appreciated.

Was it noted on the marriage certificate that Michael was dead?
    Was John also in Atherstone on 1891 & 1901 censuses?
    An introduction & guide to Irish family research is Irish Genealogy Toolkit
    https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/[/list]
    Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: Monday 19 July 21 18:51 BST (UK) »

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Civil registrations for births and deaths commenced 1864, Civil marriages from 1845 and all marriages from 1864.  free to search.

You need to sign in, solve a catchpa to show you're not a robot and tick the declaration.
    Swinford is a civil registration district office.
    Cowban

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 22:43 BST (UK) »

Was it noted on the marriage certificate that Michael was dead?
      Was John also in Atherstone on 1891 & 1901 censuses?
      An introduction & guide to Irish family research is Irish Genealogy Toolkit
      https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/[/list]

Hi Maiden Stone

Michael Reid was alive when his son got married in 1871. Michael died in 1890 for certain, John and Michael are buried in the same cemetery in Atherstone. Yes John was in Atherstone in the 1891 and 1901 censuses.

I haven't found anything on the Ireland side for the Reid family yet but I will keep looking.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
      • RootsChat Marquessate
        • View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 23:59 BST (UK) »
      This may be a help, although it is not of Swinford.  :-\

You have John Reid in 1891 2443/41
      His place of birth has been transcribed as ‘Salmonby’ but if you look at the page, it looks to be ‘Salmonford’.

There is a baptism for Bridget (Brigida) Reed, 24th February 1860 with parents Michael Reed and Mary Ruan. The residence is Salmonford.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632291#page/6/mode/1up

1881 3058/16/25 for Michael and Mary Read shows daughter Bridget, 20 yrs.

1881 3058/15/24 for John and Elizabeth Read shows Thomas Patrick and Emma Read living beside them. They have a boarder, William Ruan.

Marriage January 1848
      Michael Reed and Mary Ruan. Witnesses Dominic Reed and Patrick Ruan.
      It is poor writing and in Latin
      https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632289#page/47/mode/1up

I can find very little reference to ‘Salmonford’. There is a mention here https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qso/ where the applicant Mrs Sicily (Cecilia) Murphy is living in Cloonturk, Kilkelly in 1901. It may be that Salmonford is an alternative name or near to Cloonturk.
      Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
      • RootsChat Marquessate
        • View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 00:08 BST (UK) »
      The same parish - Castlemore and Kilcolman
      July 30th 1853 - parents Michael and Mary Reed - child possibly Dominic
      https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632290#page/14/mode/1up

29th July 1852 - Thomas parents Michael and Mary

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
      • RootsChat Marquessate
        • View Profile
      « Reply #7 on: Friday 30 July 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
      Zakerias,

What do you think? Is this information any help to you? It would be good to know before any other searches or information is posted.

Heywood

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
        • View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: Friday 30 July 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
      Zakerias,

What do you think? Is this information any help to you? It would be good to know before any other searches or information is posted.

Heywood

Hi sorry Heywood, it's a lot of information to digest in a short space of time. I think the information you have is most likely correct. There are numerous good arguments you've put forward that make total sense.
      • I also looked at Salmonford briefly but didn't find anything, but I think you're right it must be near Kilkelly. I'll do some digging to see if I can track this place down.
      • To have the records from Castlemore and Kilcolman list a baptism for Bridget (who we know if one of Michael and Mary's daughters from the 1881 census). She's the right age and again Salmonford is listed. As you've found, more records from this parish could now be trustworthy sources of information.
      • William Ruan from Ireland as a boarder again is a huge positive. I totally missed this so great spot, although I may not have made the connection between Ruan and Mary if you had not posted your findings.
      • When Mary died, Michael remarried in 1883 to Sophia Perkins. Their marriage certificate lists Dominic Reid as the father, matching the marriage certificate in January 1848.
      So huge positives overall, I honestly have no idea how you found those records. I would have totally missed them as I struggle to read them after you've found the page! I have a lot to learn re. genealogy but I have only just turned 30. :)

If I'm honest, I didn't think I'd ever find anymore information on this side of my family so any scraps of evidence are welcomed. So far, they're the only branch that take me outside of England. I need to be more optimistic about my family tree!