Author Topic: London Neighbourhoods  (Read 1874 times)

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Neighbourhoods
« on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
I'm working on a family named Ward - there are scads of them everywhere. But I'm wondering about various neighborhoods in London and whether some places might have been more middle class and others poorer. For example Marylebone - was it likely to have poor residents among the wealthier in the 18th century? Would chimney sweeps have been likely to live there for example? I'm finding quite a lot in the east end - Stepney, Bethnal  Green, etc - where occupations seem to revolve around weaving and cloth manufacturing - working class etc. But were certain areas less likely to have poor or working class residents?

I'd be grateful for guidance, though I realise this is all subjective and variable anyway..

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: London Neighbourhoods
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 21 16:22 BST (UK) »
Why not trawl the relevant census where you can see the occupations for yourself
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were in Marylebone for at least the first half of the nineteenth century and were not wealthy. Servants, porters, and so on. My 5xgreat-grandmother was Elizabeth Ward, born approx 1784, married George Perfett in Marylebone in 1816, died in Marylebone in 1856.

I haven't been able to find any trace of either of them prior to their marriage. Too many Wards to be certain which family is mine. Have worked on a theory that George was from Portsmouth, but haven't been able to prove or disprove conclusively. Any connection with your Wards?
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
Why not trawl the relevant census where you can see the occupations for yourself

These are all pre-census people as far as I know the first census was in 1841. Was there one in the 18th c?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:14 BST (UK) »
There were censuses before 1841. No all are extant. The Marylebone ones for 1821 & 1831 still exist but only show address and head of household. I think transcriptions can be viewed on ancestry  findmypast.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:24 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were in Marylebone for at least the first half of the nineteenth century and were not wealthy. Servants, porters, and so on. My 5xgreat-grandmother was Elizabeth Ward, born approx 1784, married George Perfett in Marylebone in 1816, died in Marylebone in 1856.

I haven't been able to find any trace of either of them prior to their marriage. Too many Wards to be certain which family is mine. Have worked on a theory that George was from Portsmouth, but haven't been able to prove or disprove conclusively. Any connection with your Wards?
I don't think there is a connection. I'm working on William Ward a rather well known convict who was transported to New South Wales in 1817. Most trees suggest he was the son of a William Ward (1775-1826) and Anne Hennell (1769-1850) who lived in Marylebone, but the Hennell family was a well known family of silversmiths and I am very dubious that a son from this couple would be a chimney sweep arrested for common theft. It's not impossible, but I am suspicious. My convict gr gr grandfather was born ca 1797 and there are about half a dozen in London at that date and I've narrowed it down to one other than the Marylebone fellow.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm grateful for any guidance!

As you say there are any of them.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:34 BST (UK) »

These are all pre-census people as far as I know the first census was in 1841. Was there one in the 18th c?

I doubt that the social structure would change much during that time
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:59 BST (UK) »

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile