Author Topic: BAGALEY, Elizabeth b. 1827 d. 1848 Lincolnshire  (Read 1121 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BAGALEY, Elizabeth b. 1827 d. 1848 Lincolnshire
« on: Monday 26 July 21 02:48 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this search...?
I have tried ancestry, freereg, free bmd uk, gro (using various spellings) with no success  ???

I have 2 records from the Lincoln Archives...

1) Parish Baptismal Record
Date - 1827
Child's Known Name - ELIZABETH
Son/Daug - ILLEG DAUGHTER
Parents Names - MARY BAGALEY
Abode - LONG BENNINGTON
Occupation - SPINSTER

2) Parish Baptismal Record
Date - 1848
Name - ELIZABETH BAGLEY
Relationship -----
Age - 21
Abode - LONG BENNINGTON
Occupation - SPINSTER

Attached is an image of the findagrave  memorial for this person - died May 1848 Burial St Swithin. Churchyard, Long Bennington, South Kesteven District, Lincolnshire.

She was listed on the 1841 UK census with William BAGGALEY and his wife Jane (nee Hardwick).

Nothing is known of her between the birth detail from Lincoln Archives, census 1841 and death information from Lincoln Archives and findagrave memorial.

I was checking for the details to proceed to order her Death Certificate but so far, haven't found a match.

(I should mention that we believe Elizabeth's mother could be Mary BAGALEY/BAGGALEY b. c1805 who could be a daughter of William and Jane BAGGALEY, but no record of them being Mary's parents has been located).

Hope someone can find her  ;)
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BAGALEY, Elizabeth b. 1827 d. 1848 Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 21 07:19 BST (UK) »
Here you go.

BAGLEY, ELIZABETH       22 
GRO Reference: 1848  J Quarter in OF THE NEWARK UNION  Volume 15  Page 411

John

added: Registration district covers Long Bennington

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
Different day on F M P (Image available) - Elizabeth Bagley, age 21, buried at Long Bennington on 20th May 1848

Marriage? - Mary Bagaley married William Taylor on 3rd December 1829 at Long Bennington
Witnesses: Robert newton and Sarah Curtis.

David

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks DCB and johnhood  :)
Barbara in Australia
Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
1861 Census Mary Taylor, Widow, born c 1805 Bennington, Lincs, is living in Balderton, Nottinghamshire.

William/Mary Taylor bapt 4 children Long Bennington;
MARY 02 Feb 1830
JANE 17 Jan 1831
ROBERT 25 Nov 1832
SUSAN 27 Nov 1834

1851 Susan is a Servant in Southwell, Nottinghamshire
1851 Robert is a Servant in Epworth, Lincolnshire (later marries and moves to Notts)

1841 in Balderton, Nottinghamshire we have;
William Taylor   40 Ag Lab
Mary Taylor   35
Mary Taylor   11
Jane Taylor   10
Robt Taylor   8
Susannah Taylor 7
Ann Taylor    4
Willm Taylor   3 mths (image is 3 weeks)
Last 2 children born Notts

Cant see Mary in 1851 but Daug Ann age 13 born c 1837 Balderton in a Servant in Long Bennington
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 July 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
In 1851, Mary is a widow and pauper, born in Bennington in 1805, at Hundred Acre Farm, Baldertone, Newark, Nottinghamshire.

David

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 July 21 19:18 BST (UK) »
To add to the evidence - birth of the youngest Taylor

TAYLOR, WILLIAM
mmn        BAAGGERLY     

Q1 1841   THE NEWARK UNION  Volume 15  Page 536

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 03:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone for taking the time to help with this.
I did already have those details, apart from the Hundred Acre Farm location for Mary and William on 1851 census.
I did have it but from ancestry where that extra bit of info. is not listed.
She and William were shown to be residing in Church Lane, which matches other times.
The big mystery here (which I have advertised far and wide previously) relates to Mary nee BAGALY/BAGLEY/BAGGALEY/BAGGARLEY etc. whose birth or baptism, which would reveal names of parents, has NEVER BEEN LOCATED Grrrrrrr!
Many researchers (including me) are of the opinion that Mary was the daughter of William BAGGALEY and Jane nee HARDWICK.
But there is nothing documenting it as proof.
Much research has been done on the family in the hope that we have the correct parents.
It seems that the birth of illegitimate Elizabeth to spinster Mary BAGALEY in 1826 bap. 1827 and the DEATH of Elizabeth BAGLEY in 1848 aged 21 buried St Swithin,  Long Bennington, together with the 1841 census where Elizabeth age 15 is with William and Jane BAGGALEY, show the connection between Mary b. 1805 and William and Jane BAGGALEY.
All we need is proof.
I have Mary's Death Cert. which shows died at home of daughter, widow of William, present at  death Mary Kemp, sister of her husband William.  Of course - no parents!
I have the Marriage Certificate for Long Bennington 1829 - both of the parish, bachelor and spinster. No parents shown!
I wonder what else I can try to find her birth or baptism. All the other children of William and Jane BAGGALEY are listed on Lincoln Archives........
Regards from Down Under
Researching:

Researching:

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 August 21 11:38 BST (UK) »
Further query re Elizabeth BAGLEY d. 1848 Long Bennington......
I wonder if there is likely to be any explanation for a confusing situation regarding a Death Certificate in Lincolnshire, 1848...?
The certificate information –
Died 17 May 1848 Long Bennington. Elizabeth BAGLEY Female 22 years Spinster Disease of the heart never been well from birth. Certified. (Signature, Description, and Residence of Informant) – the + mark of Mary BEET – present at the death – Long Bennington. Regd. 19 May 1848.
She was buried St Swithin Churchyard, Long Bennington.
Not knowing anything of Mary BEET in connection to Elizabeth BAGLEY I searched for anything on her and found (possibly) her on the 1841 census.for Long Bennington – working for a Farmer as a General Servant, aged 30, born in the county.
Elizabeth BAGLEY aged 15 was on the 1841 census with William and Jane BAGGALEY , but no mention of her connection to them.
There is a Death July 1848 on findagrave for Mary BEET b. c1811 (aged 49?) in Long Bennington, buried St Swithin Churchyard.
Having no DOB for Mary BEET I tried looking for her on further census years.
I couldn’t find a  further census for a Mary BEET b. c1811.
As place of death for Elizabeth BAGLEY aged 22 showed place of death as “Long Bennington” without further details, is it possible that she may have been in a hospital of some kind, and that maybe Mary BEET who was the informant, was in the same place...?
And died 2 months later...?
Just trying to think outside the square....
Attached – Death Certificate Elizabeth BAGLEY, 1841 census for Mary BEET, findagrave for Mary BEET.
Hoping someone may have some ideas.
Thanks in advance
Barbara
Researching:

Researching: