Author Topic: Historical Newspapers 1700-  (Read 639 times)

Offline JANICELEEDALE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Historical Newspapers 1700-
« on: Monday 26 July 21 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I've searched for hours trying to find free historical obituaries birth notices death notices etc. I don't know where to find them. Everything seems to be tied up with a subscription.

At moment I am looking for Salisbury and Winchester Journal.

All advice appreciated. thank you Jenny

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS 1700-
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
Please don't take this the wrong way as I do not want to discourage you, but why do you think that historical obituaries birth notices death notices etc. would or even should be free online?

Everything online comes at a cost, whether that cost be paid by adverts or by the host renting a site to display his/her work.
Some take the view that they have benefited from other people's transcriptions and decide to transcribe thing themselves, this may may have been by transcribing in libraries or archives or even by buying microfiche of original records to transcribe at home.
Others simply like to share and are prepared accept those costs themselves, but without such generosity we have to rely on businesses  thinking there is a market for such information and we pay the market price to access it.

One very helpful site for all types of family history is Familysearch a site hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the members of which each pay tithes to support the church's work. ( I am not a member of the above church, but point this out to display how even seemingly free sites are paid for by others).
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline JANICELEEDALE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
Fair comment, wishfull thinking. Jenny

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
Your profile doesn’t say whereabouts in the world you are, but have you checked to see if your local library has subscriptions to the relevant newspapers? I know that many libraries have Ancestry and Find My Past for example, so you could access them this way for free.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 21 09:29 BST (UK) »
You can see snippets on FindMyPast and Other sites. Some sites have trial membership.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 July 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I've searched for hours trying to find free historical obituaries birth notices death notices etc. I don't know where to find them. Everything seems to be tied up with a subscription.

At moment I am looking for Salisbury and Winchester Journal.

All advice appreciated. thank you Jenny

Libraries local to the area of interest often have local newspapers on microfilm.
LDS Family History centres usually have access to the online subscription based sites and are happy to let visitors (church members or not) use their pcs to access these.
The above are possibly not open at the moment or their facilities may be restricted.

Another option (though it does involve a cost). 
A lot of people compile a list of what they are looking for, take out a month's sub now and then to either the Britiish Newspaper archive or Find My Past (which includes newspapers from the BNA as part of the Pro sub) As long as you are careful and cancel the auto recurring subscription within the time frame you'd get a month's access for BNA (£12.95/month, newspapers only) or FindMyPast (£16.95/month, but you'd get a LOT of other records should you want them)

I know we all have a budget and any extra cost stretches it, but the reality is that there 'is' a cost to our hobby. We each have to balance what we'd like to know against what the budget will stand.

Boo

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 July 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast does have the newspaper you mention. Their free trial is for 14 days and includes that database https://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/take-a-free-trial

FindMyPast & BNA are part of the same 'group'. BNA also offers a 14 day free trial
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk