Author Topic: Arthur Lloyd Brace WW2/Battle of Arnhem  (Read 419 times)

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur Lloyd Brace WW2/Battle of Arnhem
« on: Thursday 29 July 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find out more on my biological grandfather & if he fought at the Battle of Arnhem.  His niece (my first cousin once removed) said he had but am struggling to see anything mentioned in his war records though quite a few bits I'm struggling to read due to the handwriting.  Would this be something that would have been mentioned in his records?  Are there any ways of finding out if he fought at the Battle of Arnhem?

Oli

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Lloyd Brace WW2/Battle of Arnhem
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
Participation in a particular battle is not specifically mentioned on a man's record although if he won a gallantry award that might be identifiable to a  partuicular action.  Have you been able to identify which unit he was servng with at the time?  However, even if, for example, his unit was 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment who did great things at the beginning of the battle, all that could be said would be that he was likely to have been there (unless his record shows he was away at hospital or something similar). 

You might like to post his Statement of Services and his posting record as a starter so we can help with your difficulty with the writing.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 21 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  On one of the forms,  there's a stamp saying 320th Field Battery & then later on, it says, 131st Field Regiment R.A.  Have also got a listing of him being a glider pilot.

Where would I see his Statement of Services & his posting record?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
The Royal Artillery Attestations register records that he joined the Royal Artillery in 1939, perhaps in 131 Field Regiment but that he transferred on 3 September 1942 to the Army Air Corps, part of which was the Glider Pilot Regiment.  As such he was quite likely to have flown a glider in Op Market Garden (Arnhem).

320 Battery was one of the 3 batteries of 131 Field (City of Glasgow) Regiment Royal Artillery which was not engaged in Europe until 1944 when he had long left.

I have assumed you have his service record which will have (or should have) his Statement of Services, it actually states that at the top of the form.  There may also be a Service and Casualty Form which records postings and other info and another form AFB 102 also has postings and promotions.

If you need help interpreting records you have, a sight of the originals is the best approach.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
Yes,  I have a copy of his records at home.  Will it be ok if I send a copy over?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
I'll send you my direct email by PM.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk