Author Topic: Finding births pre 1837  (Read 888 times)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding births pre 1837
« on: Tuesday 03 August 21 13:17 BST (UK) »
I have had loads of support from Roots Chat over the years and am extremely grateful for those giving their free time and help.
I/ We have searched for a missing family member since 1946 when the genealogy was started by an earlier generation !
The person in question was supposedly born about 1821. She says Covent Garden. We have found no evidence of that. Over her life she lived in Hackney, Tower Hamlets ,Devizes and Yorkshire.
In 1841 she was living with her Aunt in The Castle Hotel Devizes. Prior to that she was living with the same Aunt and her first husband in Yorkshire. She inherits a large amount of money and money in trust from her Aunts elderly husband when he dies around 1835. This information comes from a will. It also shows that she now has the same “adoptive” surname has her younger sister who still lives in London with her “adoptive” parents. It appears that her parents must have died.
I have deliberately not given her full name because I don’t want to waste people’s time searching for her post 1841. We have everything and more on her life !
My question is where else could I look ?
She has a Wiltshire surname and I’ve searched.
She gives Covent Garden as Place of birth and I’ve searched.
Is there anything else I could do ?
Thank you for reading this ....it is rather long winded !!!
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Finding births pre 1837
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi mitts 191, although I have nothing constructive to help you, I must say that I have had and are still encountering similar problems most of which have been resolved by the valiant efforts our members.   May I too add my thanks for their support and hope your problems are soon sorted.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hello miggs, have you looked in newspapers and other journals/books? Not only for the person in question, but also for family members as they sometimes provide clues. Good luck in your search.  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 03:58 BST (UK) »

"..She gives Covent Garden as Place of birth and I’ve searched."

When, and in what circumstances, does she give her birthplace as Covent Gardens?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
Civil Registration started on 1st July 1837.
So you aren't going to find any birth records.

What you have to hope for is finding a baptism or christening.
For that it would help if you knew what religious denomination she was?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 23 22:21 BST (UK) »
Years have passed and I’m still looking. I won’t give up !
I have so much on the life and death of my great great grandmother that it seems impossible that she is not out there somewhere.
As I’ve stated before I know absolutely everything imaginable about her life due to huge amounts of legal documents and letters lodged at the Chippenham Records Office.
Louisa Elizabeth Maslin is allegedly born in Covent Garden in 1821.
She first appears legally in a will in Yorkshire whilst living with her  Aunt Sarah. Sarah married Richard Sissons in Rotherhithe London and moves to his home in Yorkshire. She is much younger than him and he dies leaving money and property to his widow and money to Louisa Elizabeth Maslin.
I also know that Louisa has a sister named Sarah who is approximately four years younger than her. This Sarah has been “adopted “ by the Evitt family in London. I have her baptism ,know she lived with Louisa in Devizes when aged around twenty and they both worked as milliners and know that Sarah went on to marry. I also know that there is a connection between the Evitt and Fawkes family’s and that possibly Fawkes May have been a solicitor involved at one point.
Meanwhile Louisa and Sarah’s Aunt Sarah didn’t hang around after her husband Richard Sissons died because she’d already married Richard Chandler in Devizes. He was older too and didn’t last long ! Sarah then moved on to William Grace and together they managed and ran The Castle Hotel in Devizes. At this point Louisa is also still living in Devizes and in the 1841 census she is listed as working there.
None of this gives clues as to who her parents were. I did wonder if maybe she was the illegitimate daughter of the Aunt Sarah but have found no evidence.
Because we have so much information about her life,letters,legal documents and even the medical records from when she ends up penniless in Chorley lunatic asylum, it does seem strange that she doesn’t turn up as christened.
I can almost hear some of you thinking….Oh no ! Not this request again !
But it started in 1946 and we know so much about the Perry family of Devizes that Louisa married into and the Banks family of Potterne and Devizes that her daughter Mary Sarah Sissons Perry married into that I think somewhere out there is the answer to my prayers !
We searched from 1946 to find where the Sissons name came from and out of the blue,after help and suggestions on line, I found it ! All I wanted to do was tell my Aunt and Dad but they had died never solving the problem in their life time but it was out there,so I keep asking and keep looking.
Thank you for reading this. The search goes on !

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 September 23 04:38 BST (UK) »
I also know that Louisa has a sister named Sarah who is approximately four years younger than her. This Sarah has been “adopted “ by the Evitt family in London. I have her baptism ,know she lived with Louisa in Devizes when aged around twenty and they both worked as milliners and know that Sarah went on to marry.

The problem is that if you are asking for help, you might know all this but we don't.  You need to give some factual information otherwise everyone is looking for the same thing to build a picture of the sister's lives, and it all needs to be in one place.

Here are Sarah and Louisa in 1851, both born London, Sarah c1832 and Louisa c1824.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZJ-PJH

The 1841 census which you believe to be Louisa in Devizes with a possible aunt, Sarah GRACE, was previously posted here.  Louisa is said to be born in the county of Wiltshire and is aged 18.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=668644.9

When Louisa married John PERRY at Devizes in 1846 she said her father was George MASLEN, grocer.  The witnesses were James CHANDLER and Caroline THORPE.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 September 23 04:48 BST (UK) »
You believe that the possible aunt Sarah was married three times.  Can you confirm that these are the marriages:

Sarah MASLIN, spinster and Richard SISSONS, 1822 Southwark, witnesses Richard MASLIN, Jane MASLIN, Richard COOPER

Sarah SISSONS, widow and Richard CHANDLER, 1835 St Pancras, witnesses Edward HILLIER, Martha HILLIER (?)

Sarah CHANDLER and William GRACE married at Devizes in 1841.  Do you have this certificate and if so can you give all details from it.

We also need all details from the marriage certificate of Louisa's sister Sarah.

Debra  :)