Author Topic: Thomas Loseby b 1779 Leicestershire  (Read 778 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Loseby b 1779 Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 August 21 05:47 BST (UK) »
is this your Thomas - a Cordwainer ??

https://gw.geneanet.org/paulloseby?n=loseby&oc=8&p=thomas

ADDED Yes it is - transported to Australia - 7 years - Common Pilferer - BUT - according to this tree that was 20th November 1827 - so I wonder if he served 2 years in England before he went to Australia ??
but it looks like at the end of his sentence he came back home - and died very quickly after - the GOOD NEWS is that the tree owner is a Paul Loseby - and he has Thomas parents and Grandparents
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 August 21 08:04 BST (UK) »
I have seen the records  made when he arrived in Van Diemans land or Tasmania as it is now Age given as 52.  Also given records on Rootschat of the vessel he sailed on & arrival date .Occupation was given as Wool comber & gardener    His wife was Elizabeth White m 1802 .
It seems he was sent to Australia later to Port Phillip   It looks as though he may have died in Australia
No one can find a record of his death in England

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 August 21 08:07 BST (UK) »
This death in Melbourne looks very promising. I read that convicts rarely got back home many died before serving their sentence & if they served their sentence & wanted to return they had to pay their own passage   Thanks for this info looks promising

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 August 21 08:19 BST (UK) »
I have seen the records  made when he arrived in Van Diemans land or Tasmania as it is now Age given as 52.  Also given records on Rootschat of the vessel he sailed on & arrival date .Occupation was given as Wool comber & gardener    His wife was Elizabeth White m 1802 .
It seems he was sent to Australia later to Port Phillip   It looks as though he may have died in Australia
No one can find a record of his death in England

did you not read the tree - ?  he died 4th May 1837 in Billesdon ,Leicestershire - married Elizabeth White 15th February 1802

Thomas LOSEBY Family Tree
Born in 1779 - Billesdon, Leicestershire, England
Baptized 29 January 1779 - Billesdon, Leicestershire, England
Deceased 4 May 1837 - Billesdon, Leicestershire, England, aged 58 years old
Cordwainer

Parents
Richard Loseby 1754-1824
Sarah Ward 1758-1826

Spouses and children
With x Hannah
Married 15 February 1802, Billesdon, Leicestershire, England, to Elizabeth White ca 1779-1831 with
M John Loseby 1802-1880
M Joseph A A Loseby 1815-

Siblings
M William Loseby 1776-
F Sarah LOSEBY 1776-1791
F Ann Loseby 1777-1791
M Richard LOSEBY 1782-1860
M Richard Loseby ca 1782-1860
F Elizabeth Loseby 1784-
M John Loseby 1788-1789
M Joseph Loseby 1790-
M Richard Loseby 1790-1862
F Mary LOSEBY 1792-
M James LOSEBY 1794-
F Alice LOSEBY 1798-
M William Loseby 1802-
M John LOSEBY 1807-
(hide)

Events
1779 :   Birth - Billesdon, Leicestershire, England
Bapt 29 Jan 1779
Sources:
- Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Act only - : Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Act only
_BIBL: Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Act only .
_TMPLT:

Source Quality: Call number: ABBR PAL1.FTW - Date of Import: 28 Dec 2004
- Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Act only - : Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Act only
_BIBL: Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Act only .
_TMPLT:

Source Quality: Call number: ABBR PAL1.FTW - Date of Import: 28 Dec 2004
- Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Actonly - : Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Actonly
_BIBL: Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Actonly.
_TMPLT: - Date of Import: 28 Dec 2004
- Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Actonly - : Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Actonly
_BIBL: Birth cert copy dated 13 Sept 1899 for Education and Factories Actonly.
_TMPLT: - Date of Import: 28 Dec 2004
29 January 1779 :   Baptism - Billesdon, Leicestershire, England
--- :   Occupation
Cordwainer
15 February 1802 :   Marriage (with Elizabeth White) - Billesdon, Leicestershire, England
20 November 1827 :   Prison
7 years transported - common pilferer
20 November 1827 :   Prison
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 August 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
Yes Inread the tree Many thanks, I have been researching his records as well.  He was convicted of Larceny in1823 at Leicester Azzises & recieved a 6 month prison sentence.
His second offences for Larcency he was sent to the Hulks on July 30th1829 age 50 . The ship was the Gannymede..He was convicted 22nd October 1828
Voyage date on the vessel Bussorah Merchant 1st October 1829 to Van Diemans Land

I am going to see if there is any more info on the Thomas Loseby in Melbourne , knowing he was sent  from Van Diemans Land to Port Phillip n the ship Hetty
Other contributors cannot find a GRO death in England

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 August 21 09:49 BST (UK) »
I think you are wise to question the information on other family trees Tineke, especially as all the details do not match  up.
If Thomas left Tasmania for Melbourne in late February1837, I doubt he would be back in England in early May to die there. Then there are other discrepancies in his occupation.

This is where you can get the death record I previously mentioned.
https://my.rio.bdm.vic.gov.au/efamily-history/610b303dad70971c19543787
You want the $20 uncertified historical document.

The fact there is no detail about his family would suggest he was alone, and not known - perhaps another indication he is the Thomas you are looking for. There was no newspaper mention for that Melbourne Thomas that I could see.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 August 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Re the Thomas that died 4 May 1837.

There would not be a Death Reg for this because it was before civil reg of B/M/D in Sept 1837.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)