Author Topic: Marriage of John Davies and Sarah Jane Bumford Tredegar Registry Office  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Davies and Sarah Jane Bumford Tredegar Registry Office
« on: Thursday 12 August 21 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Chatters,

New poster here.  I've started looking in my Davies line.  I've come a bit unstuck on a few things, but at the moment I'm looking for this marriage.

John Davies b. 1870, his birth place changes on 1901 and 1911 census from Cwmbach to Abershire.

Just a few of his children, for ease of reference are:
John Morgan Davies b. 1897, Rhymney, according to census'
Francis Davies b. 1900 Rhymney, according to census'
Beatrice May Davies b. 1902, Rhymney, according to census'

I was pretty confident that the mothers name was Sarah Jane Davies nee Bumford.  She puts place of birth on 1901 census as Rhymney, but on the 1911 census it says "Glamorgan cum Borcoad"

I ordered a copy of Francis Davies birth certificate to confirm, and it states that father is John Davies and mother is Sarah Jane Davies formerly Bumford, so I thought that Bumford was her maiden name...

However on John Davies' record on Anc* for Army Pensions WWI, the file has a page wherein the Army has asked for particulars of marriage and whether the woman was a spinster or widow.  She is down as widow, that they married at Tredegar Registry Office and names of two witnesses are John Evans and William Davies.  So now I'm not sure if Bumford was Sarah Janes maiden name or the name of a first husband.

Can anyone help me track down the marriage of this John Davies to Sarah Jane Bumford?  I just can't find it online and I've tried looking up the registry office, which takes me to the Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council and I've no clue where to go now!

Many thanks in advance.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Davies and Sarah Jane Bumford Tredegar Registry Office
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 21 12:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

The family in 1901
RG13/4942 f44 p4
John Davies 31
Sarah Jane 33
Susannah 13
Mary J 11
Willie Garfield 8
John Morgan 4
Francis 1

Willie Garfield Davies was baptised with parents William & Sarah Jane in Rhymney. Susanna & Mary Jane were baptised at the same time - 22 May 1893. 

This looks like the family in 1891 - Sarah J is with husband WILLIAM Davies and daughters Susannah & Mary J
RG12/4574 F 80 P 25
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4TNF-R3Z

Copies of marriage certificates for weddings at registry offices are only available from the GRO
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp
Do you have a date for this marriage, could this be it

Marriages Mar qtr 1896   
Davies    John       
Davies    Sarah Jane       
Bedwelty reg district    11a   155
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie,

That's what I found and it make me think that 'John' must have flipped between being known as William or John, based on the baptism of the three children Susannah, Mary Jane and William Garfield at the same time, the census and that possible marriage.

I'll have to bite the bullet I think regarding that marriage in 1896 and order a copy.  Though that would mean that they weren't married when those children were born, but were still given the fathers surname which I presume wasn't uncommon.  Though, that probably depends on where in the world the baptism takes place; some clerks doing the recording, in then British India for example, wouldn't name the child with the fathers name if they weren't there, or the parents weren't married.  Hopefully that isn't the case here and that marriage entry will be correct! 

Thanks again

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 21 19:39 BST (UK) »
If it's any help I suspect the place of birth on 1911 is Cwm Bargoed - the valley running north from Trelewis up through Bedlinog. The hills above the valley runs across past Fochrhiw to Rhymney, so if she was from one of the little communities or farms there (some now gone) she might well say she's from Rhymney

Just seen 1891 and her pob there is Vochriw, so makes sense

There's a Bumford family in the area, but not sure if they are connected 

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 21 19:46 BST (UK) »

Ah!  Cwm Bargoed, makes much more sense!  Thank you for that and for the geography, it's not an area that I know, though I have been trying to familiarise myself by way of maps and reading what social history I can,  it's much better when someone explains it.

Every little bit helps it all makes sense.

Thanks again.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 21 19:49 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is related. The family in the area I mentioned is headed up by a John Bumford. They had an 11 month old  Sarah Jane in 1871

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3423210/3423216/148/

Wonder if this is "our" William Davies?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 August 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
think that the place name transcribed as Abershire should read Aberdare.

Possible for Sarah Jane in 1881

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2WM-YXD6
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 August 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Mabel,  thanks for that.  I don't think that it's our "William" (or John!) as he wasn't born until 1870.  But if he is related, I don't think that it would surprise me, our William/John has many pages of misconduct in his Army file!  I can't read them as it's blurry and lot's of military abbreviations,  though I'm looking to getting it transcribed by a military history expert. 

I will look at the John Bumford with a Sarah Jane aged 11 months.  Thank you!

Osprey, thank you, yes I did think that it must be Aberdare.  That 1881 census looks promising, it looks like the right place, and round about the same birth year.

So many people in Monmouthshire all with the same names together in one family!

I'm amazed and grateful for all of the help I've received on forum so far.  Thank you everyone!

Before I delve very much deeper, possibly having the wrong families.  Would anyone mind looking at this for me?

I only got this far because I know my grandfathers birth date, which I obtained from his death certificate.

He is William James Davies. DOB 20 September 1922.  I know he was from 'the valleys' in Monmouthshire.  His son doesn't really know anything him other than thought that he was from Bryn Mawr, and he remembers mention of an Emelyn and a Teddy.

Luckily for me, I only one William James Davies born 20 September 1922 in the area.

That was on the 1939 register, 22 Clarendon Row, Rhymney, Monmouthshire.  And there is mention of an Emlyn on this too as a younger brother.

From that, I found his parents were Francis Davies and Margaret Davies (nee Bulson).  It is from this that I started to trace Francis Davies DOB 18 Feb 1900 beginnings and got to John or "William".

So, I am hoping that I'm on the right track, especially looking at various census, birth records and Army records.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FR39%2F7464%2F7464A%2F016&parentid=TNA%2FR39%2F7464%2F7464A%2F016%2F42

Thanks again.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 August 21 21:37 BST (UK) »
Mabel,  thanks for that.  I don't think that it's our "William" (or John!) as he wasn't born until 1870.  But if he is related, I don't think that it would surprise me, our William/John has many pages of misconduct in his Army file!  I can't read them as it's blurry and lot's of military abbreviations,  though I'm looking to getting it transcribed by a military history expert. 

The article was from 1886, so could be him, especially if you consider the first child Susannah was born about that year. Argument between father and son in law/boyfriend?