Author Topic: The Wallace and Forrest families of Kirkudbrightshire  (Read 984 times)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Wallace and Forrest families of Kirkudbrightshire
« on: Thursday 12 August 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi i have ancestors the Wallace's originating i think from Ulster who settled at Balmaclellan and the Forrest family who lived around Buittle anyone with these families in your tree please get in touch .

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Wallace and Forrest families of Kirkudbrightshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 21 20:08 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid you'll have to give us some more information - such as first names and possible dates.  I have interest in Balmaclellan but without knowing what I'm looking for?

Doolittle

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 21 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry for the late reply I’m researching Elizabeth Wallace b 1824 Urr Kirkcudbrightshire daughter of Samuel Wallace b Ireland circa 1797 d 1866 Balmaclellan Kirkcudbrightshire. Samuel was the son of Irish parents Peter Wallace b 1776 death unknown and Elizabeth Rutherford b 1777 Ireland died Balmaclellan 1837. He married Agnes Forrest b 1794 Buittle Kirkcudbrightshire d 1873 Balmaclellan Kirkcudbrightshire. Agnes was the illegitimate daughter of William Forrest from Scotland /Ireland ? b 1770? a Stonemason / Labourer and Margaret Watson b circa 1772 Ireland d 1836 ? A servant they were unmarried . In 1851 the Wallace’s  lived at Gibbs Hill Balmaclellan Kirkcudbrightshire and at Backhouse Street in 1861 Census at Balmaclellan. Elizabeth was not there in 1851 but was at Parton in 1841 and was at Balmaclellan in 1861 and 1871 ,no trace after that . She was involved in a paternity case with Robert Kirkpatrick otherwise going by the first name of John or Robert John, what I have seen of the paternity case indicates they had a relationship at a place Kirkland Torthorwald where Robert or John came from  . He Was  a Clogger or Cloggmaker their son my ancestor William Kirkpatrick b 1848 Balmaclellan Kirkcudbrightshire d 1925 The Stoop Dumfries, was illegitimate Robert refused paternity was jailed for non payment of fines and in 1849 was on William OPR birth entry at Balmaclellan as John Kirkpatrick not Robert . However , on William two marriages and death entry and the paternity case his father is Robert not John . I have traced Robert to the 1841 census at Torthorwald living with his mother Agnes Kirkpatrick b1791 while Robert was stayed as being born 1821 .  His father also called William Kirkpatrick I found death entry at Barluith 1825 started as farmer died age 34 making g hid birth 1790s . His mother was also a Kirkpatrick by birth and I found Robert OPR at Torthorwald but havent looked at it yet just the entry . In short I think I’ve found my ancestors any more information anyone can find greatly appreciated Christopher

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher
The only mention I can find of any of your family in Balmaclellan apart from the ones you have checked are a mention in the 1792 census below:

87  Hill 2  Baillie, William Kirkpatrick age 76.

I have checked all the MI's, burials from 1791 - 1826 in Balmaclellan and the MI's from Kells as well since they seem to cross over at times but there is no other mention of your family.  It would seem that the entry above would have been the father.

Doolittle

Offline Toffee203

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 24 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a Mary Wallace in my tree, born c1780 in Carsphairn, married in Balmaclellan, birth of first child in Anworth. She married William Hume in 1808. Can anyone shed any light on who her parents were?

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 January 24 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toffee
There is a Mary Hume aged 16 residing in Holm Farm 1 in 1792.  Also the family of Hume in Holm 5 in the same 1792 census comprising William Hume 53, Mary McGill 50, James Hume 26, William Hume 22, Elizabeth Hume 18, George Hume 13, and Nathan Hume 11.
These are the only Hume family in Balmaclellan in the 1792 census.
Doolittle

Offline Toffee203

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 January 24 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying Doolittle. Is there any way of tracking back to see who her Wallace parents might have been?

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 January 24 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toffee
The only way is to find the record of her birth/baptism in Carsphairn on Scotland's People or perhaps Family Search.  Scotland's People is pay-per-view but Family Search is free.
Best of luck
Doolittle

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 January 24 12:42 GMT (UK) »
The only way is to find the record of her birth/baptism in Carsphairn on Scotland's People or perhaps Family Search.  Scotland's People is pay-per-view but Family Search is free.
But Family Search has only an index to the original records, images of which are available only on Scotland's People and may contain more information than the index on FamilySearch does.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

You could also check the baptisms of the Hume children on Scotland's People. If they record the names of the witnesses to the baptisms, these may provide a clue to Mary's parentage.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.