Author Topic: Brosnans/Dowds  (Read 874 times)

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brosnans/Dowds
« on: Thursday 19 August 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
I have found my 2x great grandparents marriage record of Thomas Brosnan and Ellen Dowd in Molahiffe. The names of both fathers are Patrick Brosnahin and Michael Dowd/Doody.
My search has run cold on trying to find the next generation. All I have on Patrick Brosnahin is that he appears on his sons marriage record - the Brosnan/Brosnahen/Brosnahin surname changes over the years and I can't pin him down. Does anyone know of a marriage record for Thomas Brosnahins parents or his birth record?
I also see Ellen Dowds last name sometimes say Doody - is that the census taker who changes it - and if so which surname is the one I should be looking for in that area?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brosnans/Dowds
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
Related thread Brosnan family for anyone wishing to help.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=852244.0

There are a few other Brosnan/Brosnahan researchers. They can be found under "Surname Interests" beneath "Your Tools" at foot of page. You can add Brosnan and other surnames you're researching.

Any Brosnan topics on the forum may be found by selecting "Search" function on dark-brown background above on this page.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 21 00:34 BST (UK) »

I also see Ellen Dowds last name sometimes say Doody - is that the census taker who changes it - and if so which surname is the one I should be looking for in that area?

Have you found her on a census? Information on your other thread is from births and marriages, both civil registrations and church registers.
Do you know if she could write? Was she in Ireland for 1901 census which asked if people could read and write? It also asked if they spoke English and Irish. Both could have a bearing on how their names were spelled in official documents.

"Surnames" on Irish Ancestors Wizard gives several variants for Doody . It says Doody is a Kerry version of O'Dowd. They derive from O Dubhda which is from a forename Dubhdach meaning dark. A northern variant in counties Derry and Donegal is Duddy. 
https://www.johngrenham.com

"Varieties and Synonyms of surnames and Christian Names in Ireland" by Robert Matheson, Registrar General of Ireland, published 1901. Chapter 3 "Use of Different Surnames Interchangeably" Later in the book is "Surnames with Varieties and Synonyms", a list in alphabetical order. The list was compiled from those noted by registrars. A dozen Brosnan variants are on the list. The book can be read online. It's a short book.
Cowban

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 August 21 02:04 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. I believe she died in Massachusetts in 1905. Her daughter Nellie Corcoran is the informant. It says she died in Bridgewater and her name is gives as Ellen Dowd Bresnan. Its possible she started using Dowd because it sounds a little less more anglicized.
Still lists her husband as Thomas and father Michael :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 August 21 12:44 BST (UK) »

I believe she died in Massachusetts in 1905.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NW5C-2HW

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo