Author Topic: Lancashire Record Office - access to Industrial School records  (Read 533 times)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lancashire Record Office - access to Industrial School records
« on: Saturday 21 August 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather was sent to the boys Industrial School/reformatory scool on the ship the Akbar in Liverpool at the age of 15. He had been in trouble with the law before and because he stole a watch in 1903 he was sent to the ship for four years.
Our family had no idea of this until I read it in a newspaper, so it came as a bit of a shock to my mum. I wanted to find out more about what happened to him and what he did there. I bought a book that mentioned The Akbar and gave some details but I read that the Lancashire Records Office in Preston hold the records for the school. Has anyone had access to the records has seen what information is held there? How much do thy tell you and do they go back as far as 1903?
Also I understand that the school was removed from the ship in 1907 and transferred to a building on land in Haswell, Cheshire. This would seem to coincide with my great-grandfather's last few months at the school, presumably the records for that school are also held at the same office.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Record Office - access to Industrial School records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
If you search for Akbar here https://archivecat.lancashire.gov.uk/calmview/ it will show you what records are held by Lancashire Archives relating to Akbar.  20 items showing on their list.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that gives me an idea of what they have.

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Record Office - access to Industrial School Akbar Records
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 22 00:51 BST (UK) »
I received no further replies re this enquiry. Has anyone ever visited the Lancashire Record Office and looked up the records for the Akbar? What sort of information do the records include? Any info would be useful, thank you.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 22 22:00 BST (UK) »
Why not give the Archives a ring, pretty sure that they can look up the records for you but there may be a fee.