Author Topic: William Jones origins  (Read 805 times)

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Jones origins
« on: Sunday 22 August 21 07:30 BST (UK) »
William Jones settled in Holy Cross after his marriage to Mary Healy in Limerick in 1831. There were
4 sons and a daughter.  Two sons emigrated to USA in 1850's and daughter to Australia in 1862.
After the death of his wife William travelled to Philadelphia to visit his sons in 1867.  He died there
in 1870.  The US census of 1870 records his age as 60 years implying a birth year of 1810.  His death record lists his age at death as 67, so a possible birth year of 1803. The 1870 census recorded that he was born in Ireland.  Probate of his will mentions that he was formerly of Suirville.
I would like to find his baptism record, a tall ask I know ::) His marriage was in the Church of Ireland.

Jones is not an Irish name so his father was possibly from Wales. I wonder if his father was in the
British Army stationed in Ireland?  Would there be records of births to soldiers stationed in Tipperary or possibly Limerick as it was a garrison town or Munster?

Have no experience in searching Irish records or even knowing where to search so any advice
would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones origins
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Irish Genealogy Toolkit is a guide to Irish family history.
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com
Church records section is under Genealogy tab. There is a link to "List of Church of Ireland Parish Registers".
Another section under "Genealogy" tab is "Land Records". Reading this and following up the links might help to explain your enquiry about valuation records in another topic.

Irish Genealogy.ie is the website for births, marriages and deaths (BMDs from 1864, non-R.C. marriages from 1845). It also has transcriptions of church records for a few dioceses and counties.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

There is an overseas births register (GRO in England) which includes some regimental births from late 18th century. It's likely that if babies of soldiers born in Ireland were baptised there they would be in registers of local churches, unless there was a chapel at the barracks or a regimental chaplain. Only a small number of soldiers' wives were officially allowed to accompany their husbands. Others went unofficially and lived outside the barracks.

People from Wales, England and Scotland had been living in Ireland for hundreds of years before your ancestor was born.
Norman invasion of Ireland 1269-1271. Invasion force was made up of Norman, Flemish and Welsh. Leader of the invasion, the Norman lord, Richard de Clare, was Earl of Pembroke in Wales. Some Welsh settlers followed.
A common surname in Ireland is Walsh (Walsh or Welsh, a foreigner or a Briton).
"The Norman Invasion of Ireland" by Richard Roche. (Roche surname has Welsh origins.)

Later Welsh movement to Ireland.
"From Soldier to Settler: the Welsh in Ireland 1558-1641", a thesis by Rhys David Morgan (2011)
https://orca.cardiff.ac.uk/54180/

Cowban

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the links for further research Maiden Stone much appreciated.  As a novice in research in Ireland it is great to have those more experienced point me in the right direction.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
William Jones settled in Holy Cross after his marriage to Mary Healy in Limerick in 1831. There were
4 sons and a daughter.  Two sons emigrated to USA in 1850's and daughter to Australia in 1862.
After the death of his wife William travelled to Philadelphia to visit his sons in 1867.  He died there
in 1870.  The US census of 1870 records his age as 60 years implying a birth year of 1810.  His death record lists his age at death as 67, so a possible birth year of 1803. The 1870 census recorded that he was born in Ireland.  Probate of his will mentions that he was formerly of Suirville.

Do you have a marriage record for William & Mary? Is any information given about them in the marriage register? Who were witnesses? Which parish did they marry in?* How do you know it's the correct marriage?
What are names, birth years & birthplaces of their children? Did they marry in Ireland? When & where?
When & where did Mary die?
Typical age for an Irishman to marry at the time was early 20's.
Does "formerly of Suirville" mean it was the last place he lived in Ireland?
Was there any other information about William in death or probate records?
Was there an actual will?
What was/were William's occupation(s)?

Added: * They married at St. Munchin's C. of I., Limerick. (From another thread; see my next post.)

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cowban

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 August 21 02:02 BST (UK) »
Answering your questions in order Maiden Stone.

I don't have the actual marriage record from St. Munchin's 1831 only an extract on FamilySearch.
On that site there appear to be typewritten transcriptions from St. Munchin's.  Finding the actual
record from volumes of transcriptions will take some time!  I wonder if father's details would be
recorded as far back as 1831?  I believe it to be the correct record as both parents are named on the marriage record of their daughter Frances in Holycross in 1862.   Other marriages for persons of the same name have not been explored.

Four sons and one daughter, Robert, born 1833 place unknown (US Federal Census only states Ireland) emigrated to USA 1850 (US census 1900).  Richard born ?, same details as Robert. George born 1836 died 1867 (recorded in letter to Aust. from father), John born 1842.  Only 2 married in
Ireland John, 1861 Monkstown, Dublin, Frances 1862 Holycross. Frances was born April 1837 (family bible record).

Mary Jones nee Healy died between 1862-1867.  There is a death index for a Mary Jones 1st. Qtr.
1865 in Rathdown which I think is in Dublin. (source Ireland Civil Registration Deaths Index 1864-1958)  There is a death for a George Jones 1867 also Rathdown.  This is the correct year of death as it was mentioned in the letter cited above.  Son John Jones lived in Kingstown Dublin.

Have not seen an actual will for William Jones only a record of Probate granted to son John of Dublin, Nov. 1870.  The record reads "William Jones, formerly of Suirville, County of Tipperary,
afterwards of Sandycove Kingstown Co. Dublin and late of Philadelphia United States ...."
The letter cited above records a visit to son John in Dublin prior to embarkation to USA in late 1867.
My assumption from the probate record would be that he resided in Suirville.  The occupation of
William Jones on marriage cert. of daughter in 1862 was Gentleman Farmer.

The US Federal Census of 1870 recorded the age of William Jones as 60 years implying a birth year
of 1810.  If the death record for Mary Jones is correct her age at death was 55 years in 1865, also a birth year of 1810.  Still looking for baptism records of both William and Mary.  It is possible Mary was born in Limerick.

Added:  Have answered my own question re marriage of William Jones & Mary Healy.  No details other than names & marriage by banns and minister's name.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight