Author Topic: Share Mouse  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Share Mouse
« on: Sunday 22 August 21 17:45 BST (UK) »
Has anyone used Share Mouse between a Mac and Windows machine please?
We use Family Historian and parallels to operate on a mac but the mac is now rather old and we have been told that parallels wont operate with the latest version of Mac. If we get a windows laptop is there anyway to use it in conjunction with the mac machine? Can we transfer information between the machines seamlessly?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Share Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 August 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
Never used the product, but the website claims that the Mac version runs on their M1 processors (the new stuff).

Apparently it is not a sensible option (too difficult technically) to run an Intel processor virtual machine on an M1 machine. That rules out Parallels, VMware etc. for your purposes.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 21 05:11 BST (UK) »
That is our main problem the Mac meeds replacing but without Parallels how can we dun Family Historian smoothly? We ccame across the Share Mouse site so thought it may be possible to run FH on a widows lap top while using  a new Mac and wonder if anyone has tried this grouping out. At the moment the Mac has a second monitor too could it still be used with SM linking the laptop and Mac.
What alternatives can be considered to runing FH on anew generation Mac?
We have had FH since its launch and have it updated as soon as a new version has come available and similarly the preferred computor has been a Mac for many many years so we don't want to go back to a main Windows set up

mcmullin.me.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 21 06:46 BST (UK) »
If it was me, I would consider moving to a Mac compatible family history programme and buying a Mac laptop.  You can save your Family History file as a Gedcom can you not? And then upload that gedcom to whatever programme you install on your new laptop.

Added.  I use a second monitor with my Apple Air and I also have my iPad sitting next to me,  and airdrop or handover files from one to the other.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 21 07:24 BST (UK) »
RootsMagic is a Windows program that is also possible to run on Mac's.
Might be worth exploring?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 August 21 07:57 BST (UK) »
I use Reunion.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 August 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone so its to be struggle on with what we have for a bit or be forced to change program. I wonder why on earth Family Historian don't do a Mac version its such a good programme with so many attributes we have grown to appreciate.At the moment I work on the tree on my Widows lap top and husband works on it on his Mac then he merges the two as and when its worked really well for years and at my age(shh 79!) its going to be difficult to adjust t a new program let alone a  completely new computer. I got excited when I found SM. on the face of it it looks good but our son has tried a different system allowing one mouse and one keyboard to use across his two Mac machines and extra monitor but says it is far from reliable and that has made us make enquires before jumping in.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 August 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
I too use Family Historian, but on Windows. However, the user group forum has regular posts about running it on a Mac. Most people, I think, use Crossover, but it's not the only option. You can find the forum at https://fhug.org.uk/forum/

The FHUG also has a good Knowledge Base - this page has links to advice on the various options:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/installing-migrating-and-upgrading/installing-fh/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 August 21 22:58 BST (UK) »
Yes the user group is great yet another reason why we would hate to change from FH, (We have asked several questions over the years af how to get around the problem of two machines and particularly the use of Mac.) My husband and son love their Mac machines and don't want to change to Windows, I still use Windows and we need to keep both our machines updated with FH.(If you look at our web site you will realise how important it is to both of us , we have and are still creating many pages about the family places occupations religions etc Its essential to have both machines with the same data at all times).
This really is becoming a huge issue  for us :'(

mcmullin.me.uk