Author Topic: Becoming a teacher in the early 20th century  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Becoming a teacher in the early 20th century
« on: Friday 27 August 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census (Sy/idney Jenkins) is listed as a 17 year-old 'school teacher' in Aberdare (his father and eight brothers would all become miners). In 1939 he is still in Aberdare as an elementary school teacher and he would go on to become a headmaster (as listed on a list of famous former pupils at Park Schools. He may be the Sidney Jenkins on a list of pupils who obtained the Junior School certificate in 1910 and may be the Sidney Jenkins who became HM of St Pagan's School some time before 1952.

I have seen pupils become pupil teachers at that time but usually in private schools, but did this happen in state schools as well? Would he have had to gain some qualifications at some stage? His decision to become a teacher seems unusual from his background and I wonder how hard it would have been.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming a teacher in the early 20th century
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 21 08:23 BST (UK) »
There's a 1920 Teachers Registration Council register entry for Sidney Jenkins on FindMyPast.

Assistant master:

Baylies School, Dudley 1915-1920
St Fagan's C.E. School 1920-

Trained at Dudley Day Training College

Attainments: Board of Education Certificate, Diploma of the Institute of Hygiene.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 21 08:38 BST (UK) »
Yes it happened in state's schools.

My father should have gone to a grammar school in the 1920s but his parents couldn't afford the uniform. He left school at 14 in 1930 and couldn't get an apprentiship or job due to the depression. He went back to school and taught there until he got an apprentiship. He did 2 years teaching.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 21 08:45 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, born in 1888, and state school educated was a pupil teacher at the age of 14 - at least that was what was passed down to us (he died before I was born). 

There doesn't seem to be any reference to him on the Teachers Registration Council list, but he was a school teacher all his working life. (1911 census and 1939 register both say that).  His older brother, also a teacher, does appear in the Teachers Registration Council register.  He had a Board of Education Certificate, but no formal training.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 August 21 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much - all very helpful.
Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk