Author Topic: Looking for Burial for Janet Ewan b1823 d 1901 Crathie  (Read 1060 times)

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Burial for Janet Ewan b1823 d 1901 Crathie
« on: Monday 30 August 21 07:50 BST (UK) »
Janet was a pauper on her death cert her info was given by her son in  law John Niven but cant find a grave for her .
Gill McIntosh Niven Forbes Taylor Munro (Mainly NE Scotland)

Gould Millar Goddard Watkins Walkden  Bernard Collins Sherriff Tempest
From all over

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Burial for Janet Ewan b1823 d 1901 Crathie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
If she was a pauper she would have been buried at the expense of the Parochial Board, and they would not have paid for a headstone.

Most burial records for Aberdeenshire are held by Aberdeenshire Council, and are available online at www.deceasedonline.com, so I suggest that should be your first port of call.

The other possibility is to see if the Parochial Board records of Crathie and Braemar have survived. If they have, they should be in the care of Aberdeen Archives https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/aberdeen-city-and-aberdeenshire-archives.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks I think I've done deceased  online without success and anesfhs mis. I wondered if she had family would they be responsible for the burial? . If they were poor they may not bother with a stone but would still need a plot?I'll try the other link tho.

From all over

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks I think I've done deceased  online without success and anesfhs mis. I wondered if she had family would they be responsible for the burial? . If they were poor they may not bother with a stone but would still need a plot?I'll try the other link tho.
The description of 'pauper' is quite specific. It doesn't just mean that she was poor.

It means that she was being supported by the Parochial Board, who would have made efforts to find any family who could be held responsible for supporting her before admitting her to its Register of Poor.

She would have been buried in a common grave, not in a private lair (plot) and the Parochial Board would have paid for a basic, no-frills burial, not including a headstone.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 August 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
That's what confuses me on the 1901 census she is with the family described as formerly domestic servant yet on her death cert it has pauper formerly domestic servant. Her address is the same as the sil who reported the death. So if she was with the family would the church still bury her?

From all over

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
The family may well have paid for her burial - it all depended on the circumstances in each case. The lady in the following extract from notes I took from her page in the Parochial Board register for St Fergus died in November 1900. She was buried by the family in the grave her husband had been buried in in 1863. There was no headstone.

"On Monday 27th July 1891 the Parochial Board granted Elizabeth 2/- a week support. Their records describe her as a housewife, wholly disabled through old age and wholly destitute, born in Crimond, but resident in St Fergus for 42 years. Her family and the number of their children is given: Charles 6; Alexander 8; John 2; Penelope 9; Rachel, single, described as an out-door worker. The record notes that she died in the house of her son-in-law, Robert Thom, Keyhead, St Fergus, so it seems that she received the payment for the rest of her life."

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
That's what confuses me on the 1901 census she is with the family described as formerly domestic servant yet on her death cert it has pauper formerly domestic servant. Her address is the same as the sil who reported the death. So if she was with the family would the church still bury her?
Not the church. The Parochial Board. PBs were set up in 1845 to take over from the church the maintenance of the poor.

If the family could not afford the cost of the funeral, the PB would pay for it.

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 August 21 19:55 BST (UK) »

Most burial records for Aberdeenshire are held by Aberdeenshire Council, and are available online at www.deceasedonline.com, so I suggest that should be your first port of call.

The other possibility is to see if the Parochial Board records of Crathie and Braemar have survived. If they have, they should be in the care of Aberdeen Archives https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/aberdeen-city-and-aberdeenshire-archives.
[/quote]
Doesnt seem to have any records surviving from there.

From all over

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
Doesn't seem to have any records surviving from there.
Oh dear :(

In that case, I suggest that you contact the burial grounds office at Aberdeenshire Council and ask them if they have any burial records for Crathie that are not yet on DeceasedOnline.