Author Topic: Burial person abode - Quarries, Millfields Road, Bilston  (Read 1051 times)

Offline lzzl25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial person abode - Quarries, Millfields Road, Bilston
« on: Tuesday 31 August 21 17:53 BST (UK) »
Researching my 2x Great Grandfather, John Jones. Have found him, I believe, baptised 4 Nov 1849 at Swan Bank Wesleyan in Bilston, son of Thomas and Jane of Gibbett Lane and on every census up to 1911 where he is recorded as an Enamel Mixer living with his wife Rachel at 37 Rough Hills, Ettingshall.
Despite a slight discrepancy in age (67/69) I have located a likely burial record of 18 Dec 1918 at Swan Bank. His place of abode is given as Quarries, Millfields Road. Not quite sure what to make of this address and wondered if anyone had come across it before. Google maps shows Rough Hills Road very close to Millfields Road, could Quarries be the name of a house?
Any suggestions gratefully received as well as an opinion if a 2 year age variation seems reasonable
Thanks
Lizzie

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Burial person abode - Quarries, Millfields Road, Bilston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
I have typed that address in Google and it came up with a quarry which isnt in operation any more,but i think there were probably quarries in the area.It said Bodfari (Quarries)Ltd,Millfields Rd,Ettingshall.I will look on the old maps website.Glenys
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
Date
From the 18th century onwards, Ettingshall became heavily industrialised as a result of the Industrial Revolution. Until April 1979, an area of wasteland on the southside of Millfields Road was the location of the Bilston Steelworks and old Bilston quarries.
Ettingshall - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettingshall
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EttingshallHope this helps
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline lzzl25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Glenys, still not quite sure where he would have lived unless the general area around the quarry was referred to as Quarries and included houses.

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 19:18 BST (UK) »
I had an ancestor who worked in the quarries at Bristol,and they lived Quarry,which turned out to be a house on Quarry steps,by the quarries.Could your ancestor have worked in the quarry?
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline lzzl25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
No he was an Enamel Mixer. Possibly he was living with one of his children. I may have to wait for the 1921 census to see what that reveals.
Thanks again
Lizzie

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 September 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
I’m on a fb group about Bilston history etc and I searched quarries Milllfield road and it came up with a post some one had put on of a quarry building, like a tiny cottage and the heading “millfields road building built from bilston quarry stone, now in the Black Country museum”. I’ll screen shot it and post it here in a sec (hope that’s allowed). But maybe “quarries” in your query was what they called those sort of houses? So would still be on Millfields road but a small house made from bilston quarry stone as appose to the other houses.
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 September 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hope this works it’s not letting me screenshot and upload
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 September 21 14:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don’t know why it’s so big when I posted it…hope this helps anyway x