Author Topic: Death or obit Olive Montgomery, Coagh, after 2001  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death or obit Olive Montgomery, Coagh, after 2001
« on: Tuesday 31 August 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
Olive Montgomery, nee Charleton, was born abt 1910 so would be 91 in 2001 when her sister Julia died in Texas, USA. Olive could not have lived much longer. Can anyone find Olive's death  record or obit in Coagh, Co. Tyrone?
Thank you
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death or obit Olive Montgomery, Coagh, after 2001
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I am told that Olive Charleton was baptised as Gladys Sarah, daughter of John Charleton and Sarah Ann Averell who were married in 1910 in Ballinderry Parish. I have not found her baptism. She was living in Coagh, Co. Derry, Ireland in 2001 and her surname was Montgomery, as per her sister Julia's obit in Texas. Still haven't found her death or her husband's first name. Thanks for any help.
Peggy

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us what resources you have already searched to save duplication of efforts.

Quite a difference in name from Gladys Sarah to Olive.  Is there any known reason for it?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I have searched irishgenealogy.ie for both her birth and her marriage. I have looked for an obit of her father John Charleton who died Sept 7, 1971 but did not find one. I have the death notice of Olive's mother Sarah Ann Charleton nee Averell who died Feb 3, 1933 in Coagh which does not name any relatives. I have searched extensively on ancestry and on familysearch to find Olive's birth, marriage or death without any luck. I have no idea why Gladys Sarah became called Olive, and no idea why her sister Eliza Ann born Oct 26, 1920 was called Lily who married a Hagen as per sister Julia Gioviale's obit in Texas Nov 8, 2001. Lily was alive in Coagh in 2001. The Charleton Family Tree on Ancestry.com, owner Amanda Charleton gives Olive's birth name as Gladys Sarah.  A fellow researcher does not have Olive aka Gladys Sarah's birth, marriage, or death either although we know from Julia's obit that Olive was living in Coagh in 2001. Her death must have been soon after. Lily's death must have been soon after as well since she was born 1920.
Olive's brother Alfred Benson Charleton died June 24, 2016 at age 103. I do not have his obit but I have his 100th birthday celebration in 2013 which does not name any relatives other than his wife Rose nee Martin who died in 1999. Alfred had 4 daughters and two sons one of whom was John Adam Charleton who died Jan 2, 2020 and I do not have his obit either.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Is this Olive’s parents on 1911 Ireland census?

4 in Ballinderry (Salterstown, Londonderry
Charleton   John   25   Ag. Lab
Charleton   Sarah 23   Wife   
Charleton   Mary Agnes Daughter
Married 1 year, 1 child, all born Co.Tyrone

Added for info birth daughter Mary Agnes (mmn Averil)
22 April 1910
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1910/01575/1634712.pdf

Edit can’t find birth for Olive or a Gladys b 1911

there are also these Charleton births f John m Sarah

John Date of Birth 21 April 1912
SR District/Reg Area   Cookstown
Mother's Birth Surname   AVERILL

added missed Alfred
AlfredBenson Date of Birth   06 November 1913
Mother's Birth Surname   AVORY

Lena Jane Date of Birth 23 September 1915
Mother's Birth Surname   AVERIL

Adam Averil Date of Birth   22 November 1917
Mother's Birth Surname   AVERIL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 23 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, those are Olive's parents in 1911. Only Mary Agnes was born before that census. Looking at the dates of birth of Olive's siblings, it could be that Olive aka Gladys Sarah was not born abt 1910 since we have Mary Agnes 1910, John Dickson 1912, Alfred Benson 1913, Lena Jane 1915, Adam Averil 1917, Eliza Ann 1920, Julia Matilda 1922, Emily Margaret 1924. Emily died July 14, 2006 in Birmingham, England, married to Wilfred Thomas Stansbie who died Nov 21, 1997.  Maybe her obit would name living siblings. Emily was living in England in 2001 as per Julia's obit.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 23 08:46 GMT (UK) »

I am told that Olive Charleton was baptised as Gladys Sarah, daughter of John Charleton and Sarah Ann Averell who were married in 1910 in Ballinderry Parish. I have not found her baptism.

She was living in Coagh, Co. Derry, Ireland in 2001 and her surname was Montgomery, as per her sister Julia's obit in Texas.

Still haven't found her death or her husband's first name.

Not found a birth on Irish genealogy maybe she was born after 1921  :-\

Was she living in Coagh as Olive or Gladys Sarah in 2001?

There is a Gladys Sarah living Magherafelt, County Londonderry , occupancy 9 years, two other persons UK Electoral Registers & Companies House Directors 2002-2010
edit -  sent a pm to Peggy13 with the other names mentioned on ER and the full address
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 23 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I dont see any mention of searching GRONI (NIDirect) - if Olive/Gladys married in Northern Ireland before c1948 that's the only place to search for a civil marriage record. If by any chance she married in NI after then you would have to actually visit GRONI (or one of the computers in PRONI), similarly for her birth if after c1920

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 23 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Ladyhawk and athacliath62. I am thinking that possibly she was born between 1921 and 1933 (when Sarah died) so perhaps her marriage was not before 1948. Or for some reason her birth did not make it onto Irishgenealogy.ie. I will have a look at Groni as well for her birth.