Author Topic: Milham of Hendfield, Yokehurst of Sussex  (Read 1304 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Milham of Hendfield, Yokehurst of Sussex
« on: Friday 03 September 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can help.

In 1698 William Briggs of Horsham wrote his will, leaving bequest to 'daughter Mary Milham of Hendfield, Sussex', amongst others.

In 1706, his widow Mary Briggs of Horsham left bequests to 'daughter Mary Yokehurst Wife of Joseph Yokehurst'.

Mary was baptised in March 1660/61, Goring, Sussex.
I can find no marriage of Mary Briggs to 'Milham', and no marriage of Mary Briggs or Milham to Joseph Yokehurst.

The wills are both transcriptions, originals not seen, so cannot rely on the surnames as given.

There is one baptism I have found of a Samanell Y[eo]khurst, in Lewes, Sussex, in 1690, parents Mary and Joseph. But this is in the wrong time frame, 8 years before William died, so unlikely to be relevant.

Can anybody throw any light onto the situation?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Milham of Hendfield, Yokehurst of Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 21 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Like you, I'm struggling to find any of the names mentioned   :(

The original wills are apparently held at WSRO  and I've found Mary's on FamilySearch here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-X49S-6JC?i=325&cat=1022203

There is a grandchild mentioned: Anne Oliver.  The handwriting is fairly clear which makes a change.

Still looking for William's.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
Nellie, You are a star!

My ancestor was Anne Briggs, Mary's sister, who married Clement Oliver, so I knew who Ann Oliver in the will was.
But to see the actual Will, and not a present day or historical transcription, is fantastic.

Which collection is this from? Might find a few more of my relatives Wills.

With many thanks, Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
I'll post the link:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1022203?availability=Family%20History%20Library

second item listed.

I'm not entirely clear what the collection title is and I get very confused when searching.

The transcript says that William's will was proved in 1705 and I've been looking all around that date under Storrington Deanery (covers Horsham), but not seeing it so far.

Nell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
Jumping around all over Sussex sources here.

There is a baptism of a Samuel?  Yokehurst, son of Joseph (maybe, reading the transcription it would definitely sound like Joseph, but doesn't look like it) at St. Thomas a Beckett Cliffe in Lewes.  Mother Mary.

Nell

Added: link to baptism in the register:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-62RQ-PZ1?i=62

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:36 BST (UK) »
Nellie, Samanell/Samuel was baptised 1690, as I said in my original post.
William died in 1698 (not 1705) 8 years after this, so why would he refer to his daughter Mary Milham?

But Mary's original Will, rather than the transcript, does mention 'daughter Mary Yokenhurst of Lewes', so maybe William made an error.

Margaret

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Found William's:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D419-8VT?i=708&cc=1465706&cat=1022203

It does not seem to have been proved until 5 April 1705 although it is included under the 1704 file on that FS film.  That's why it can be so confusing.

I'd not taken in the information on the Samuel/Samawell baptism -  :-[

Nell

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
You may have been looking at this -
"Original wills of the Deanery of Arundel, Boxgrove, Midhurst & Storrington, 1700-1857"

In which case, William's will won't be included, unfortunately.

Back to the drawing board.

Margaret

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:52 BST (UK) »
See my previous post - I have found William's will on film 004428108, image 709.

Nell