Author Topic: Harvey and Catherine Hay of Ballymurn 1760  (Read 1135 times)

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harvey and Catherine Hay of Ballymurn 1760
« on: Friday 03 September 21 21:37 BST (UK) »
The names of the sons are readily found. Did Harvey and Cathrine have daughters?

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harvey and Catherine Hay of Ballymurn 1760
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
From "Brothers Divided Edward and Philip Hay Divided Loyalties" by William Sweetman Published January 2019.
Pages 15-16 gives children as Edward, John, Philip and James and at least one girl called Mary.
P262 refers to the death of of three of Harvey's children ..... "Mary a young married woman in Dublin" around the time of Harvey's death (a few years is implied!).

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 21 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you culbaire. Book you reference has been ordered via inter library loan, look forward to reading. Hannah Hay marries Laurence Clynch  around 1795 at Ballymurn/Crossabeg. They baptize 4 children at Enniscorthy shortly thereafter. Marriage witness is Edward Hay and daughter Catherine's godmother is Catherine Hay. Sure looks as though Hannah is of that family. If so, she married well below her station, but one of the tenets of the French Revolution and the United Irishmen was equality. Was she making a political statement?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 22 03:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you culbaire. Book you reference has been ordered via inter library loan, look forward to reading. Hannah Hay marries Laurence Clynch  around 1795 at Ballymurn/Crossabeg. They baptize 4 children at Enniscorthy shortly thereafter. Marriage witness is Edward Hay and daughter Catherine's godmother is Catherine Hay. Sure looks as though Hannah is of that family. If so, she married well below her station, but one of the tenets of the French Revolution and the United Irishmen was equality. Was she making a political statement?

There is politics, and then there is politics....
Personally, I would discount the idea.

Any update on the content of the book?

Spelling in registers is usually reflective of the preference of the priest/record keeper. How are other Hayes/Hays entries given? Hayes is not that uncommon in Wexford.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Patrick_pontet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pontet & associated families of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 16:15 GMT (UK) »
If I can be of assistance, I have researched the Hay family of Ballinkeele, Ballymurn, Co Wexford (so, ca 1660 to near current. As well as a writeup I have a details family tree. Login in and out of RootsChat is a pain the in the backside, so contact me via Ancestry.com. My tree is on Ancestry.com ("Pontet-Hicks-Hay-Joanovich etc").

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Login in and out of RootsChat is a pain the in the backside, so contact me via patrick(at)pontet.com. My tree is also on Ancestry.com ("Pontet-Hicks-Hay-Joanovich etc").

The posting of e-mail addresses is forbidden here on RootsChat, in order to avoid spamming, internet abuse, identity abuse, cyber-theft etc.
This has been reported to a moderator.

So, please remove your email address as this is not allowed by RootsChat.

See RootsChat posting guide -  https://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Please do not include personal contact details in postings.
This includes e-mail addresses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, etc.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 24 21:58 GMT (UK) »
RE: Wexflyer's question. The Sweetman book was delivered, read and returned. three interesting points. In the appendix, Edward Hay's census report for Killmallick shows two families with slightly different spellings. Hannah could be part those families. second: the fact that a micro-film image of the parish marriage records dating to 1795/6 exists while the NLI digitalized records of baptism and marriage start with 1833. Where is the micro-film record held? The snip of the 1795/6 marriage record was sent to me by a person who had worked on the Kilmallick cemetery book. Thirdly: Sweetman states that local oral traditon puts the Ballinkeele House owner at the Battle of the Boyne. Per Anthony Ryan's work (1938-1949), my family's history also goes back to fighting with Sarsfield at the Battle of the Boyne, suggesting possible connection with the Hays of Ballinkeele, and possible draw for Fr. Thomas Clinch's father's move from Kilrush Parish to Clonmore Lower/ Ballyhuskard area.
RE: Mr. Pontet's remark. I do not have access to Ancestry.com but can go over to the LDS center possibly and attempt to reach you.
KC

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 24 06:31 GMT (UK) »
RE: Wexflyer's question. The Sweetman book was delivered, read and returned. three interesting points. In the appendix, Edward Hay's census report for Killmallick shows two families with slightly different spellings. Hannah could be part those families. second: the fact that a micro-film image of the parish marriage records dating to 1795/6 exists while the NLI digitalized records of baptism and marriage start with 1833. Where is the micro-film record held? The snip of the 1795/6 marriage record was sent to me by a person who had worked on the Kilmallick cemetery book. Thirdly: Sweetman states that local oral traditon puts the Ballinkeele House owner at the Battle of the Boyne.
KC

Let me see:
1.  "Edward Hay's census report". Which census? Where available? Far from clear.
2.  I have not personally ever had cause to look at the Crossabeg parish records, but I believe they exist from 1794. However, the NLI only microfilmed from 1856 as far as I am aware (not 1833), and only for baptisms.
3. The records are under local control - meaning the parish.  May be available (but not online), for a fee from RootsIreland, you would have to ask.
4. King James' Army List was published and exists in book form. If one of the Hays of Ballinkeele was at the Boyne it would presumably have been as an officer, and he should be in that book.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 February 24 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't DNA testing be the most straightforward way to resolve OP's evident interest in a potential link to the family?