Author Topic: Janet Storrie/Storry (1799-?)  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Annapat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet Storrie/Storry (1799-?)
« on: Monday 06 September 21 00:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find information about the death of my 3 x great grandmother, Janet Storrie, born 28 Dec 1799 in Whitburn, West Lothian?
Her parents were John Storry (1755-1833) and Janet Thomson (1758-1802). Janet married James Russell of Longridge, Whitburn in 1820. The last record I can find of Janet is in the 1851 census. She is not in the 1861 census for James. James died in 1879 and his death record describes him as the widower of Janet Storrie.
She must have died between 1851 and 1879 but I have been unable to track her down. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Storrie/Storry (1799-?)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 September 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Would her death be under Russell - not Storrie?

Is James shown as a widower in 1861
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annapat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
James is described as a widower in the 1861 census so Janet must have died between 1851 and 1861. Presumably her death would have been recorded under her married name of Russell, and probably Storrie/Storry/Story as well in the Statutory Registers.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 September 21 12:25 BST (UK) »
JANET STORIE   Birth/baptism    JOHN STORIE/JANET THOMPSON    14/01/1800   Whitburn

JANET STORRY   Married    JAMES RUSSEL   15/07/1820   Whitburn

I note their youngest son on SP
RUSSELL   WILLIAM   JAMES RUSSELL/JANET STORRIE    15/03/1840   WEST CALDER, MIDLOTHIAN

1841 WEST CALDER = Russell Family JAMES 45, JANET 40

ALEXANDER 13, GEORGE 12, (No record on SP)?
JANE 5, (Whitburn) WILLIAM 1, as above

I cannot find the 1851 census but from your post I guess they were back in Whitburn.

I guess this is James?
JAMES RUSSELL   Died    84   Mmn - FAIRLEY   1879   Whitburn

I have searched for Janet’s death on the Statutory Records 1855 – 1879 to no avail, my guess is she died in Whitburn but no death records there on SP after 1830.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 21 12:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

It looks like Janet died prior to 1855 when it became a legal requirement to register a birth/marriage/death in Scotland. Like ColC I have tried all avenues to find her death even just putting in her first name of Janet/Jane. looks like she died between the 1851 census and 1855. Records pre 1855 are very sparse and many have not survived unfortunately.

Her daughter Jane Russell married Adam Greenhorn on 11/2/1857 - Whitburn and her mother is listed on the marriage certificate as Janet Russell maiden surname Storrie - deceased.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Annapat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that, Colin and Dorrie. Yes, Janet must have died before 1857 when her daughter married. I hadn't realised that there were no Whitburn death records after 1830. There seems to be a 25 year gap for these.

Anne

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 September 21 18:00 BST (UK) »
Janet Stor(r)i/e(y), daughter of John S and Janet Thomson, was my 2nd cousin 4 times removed so you and I are related. I have also looked without success for Janet's death, and had concluded that she must have died between the 1851 census and 31 December 1854.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annapat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 September 21 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That's interesting! I had come to the conclusion that Janet must have died between 1854 and the end of 1854. I haven't found any burial records either.