Author Topic: Two burial dates for Helen Ramsay 1692 Greyfriars  (Read 545 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Two burial dates for Helen Ramsay 1692 Greyfriars
« on: Wednesday 08 September 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
Helen Ramsay, widow of Alexander Livingstone, died in the month of May 1692, according to the Testament dative.  The burial took place at Greyfriars burying-ground, Edinburgh on the 1st June, according to the register entry on ScotlandsPeople.  However, the printed book by the Scottish Record Society which is on FindMyPast, has the burial as the 5th.  Could the date of 1st June in the register be the date the authorities received information of the death, rather than the date of burial?

The entries state Bayer/s Tom/b, a truf.  Does this mean “buyers” i.e. that the family bought the plot and that it was turfed, therefore no headstone erected?  I cannot find anything on Find a Grave.  Also, what do the letters and numbers mean in the register entries, are they payments, sections of the kirkyard, etc?

Tilly

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two burial dates for Helen Ramsay 1692 Greyfriars
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 14:52 BST (UK) »
A truf is a flat gravestone (sometimes the spelling appears as "through" etc.).

It is common for the location of a grave to be given in relation to existing tombstones. The index to burials records a number of people called Bair, Bayer and Bayers who were buried in the 1660s, 1670s and 1680s.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you GR2 for your reply.  After googling Greyfriars, I now know the whereabouts of Tom Riddell's headstone which inspired JK Rowling but not where my relatives are. ;D

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 15:09 BST (UK) »
Just added a bit to my former post re the family whose tomb is used as a locator.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you GR2 for looking in the index for those names.