Author Topic: House History in Shillington/Shitlington, Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire  (Read 399 times)

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
House History in Shillington/Shitlington, Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire
« on: Friday 10 September 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello - been a while since I've been on here.

I am trying to help a friend look into past residents of the cottage she has just purchased at 111 Bury Road, Shillington - Shillington is apparently split into Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire and her cottage is on the Hitchin, Hertfordshire side.

I a coming up with nothing for 111 and wondered if the row of cottages she lives in at that address used to go by another name.

I found an old map from 1882 which shows the cottages but no road name although it does look like the cottages are part of the land belonging to Shitlington Bury Farm.  Any ideas where I can start looking or does anyone have any local knowledge that I can base my research on.  I believe the cottages used to be farmhand cottages and therefore possibly the occupants were tenants of the farmer, but as yet, I have no names I can go on.

Bit of a long shot with little information, but if anyone can help, I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Jan
JOHNSTON, STOCKER - Middlesex
DORMODY (and variants)
HERRING - Oxford, Bucks, Warwickshire, Essex
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: House History in Shillington/Shitlington, Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
Does she have the deeds to the property?  Are there any names of former owners pre-1939 she could use for tracing?

Have you checked with the RO whether any old electoral registers are available?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)