Author Topic: George Edwin Collier died age 5 in Gomersal  (Read 984 times)

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Edwin Collier died age 5 in Gomersal
« on: Monday 20 September 21 06:52 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the grave of this boy.

His widowed mother was Catharine Hill COLLIER who was in service in Heckmondwike. 

George Edwin COLLIER, b 27 May 1880, in Loftus, died 25 Jun 1885, during one of  his mother's visits.

He and his younger sister (Isabel Beatrix Collier Yewdale) were in the care of Mrs Woodhead, Oxford Road, Gomersal. 

The coroner determined the death to be natural causes (from the coroner's report.  I have a digital image of it).

In 1895, the mother married in Vancouver, Canada; the sister married in 1901, also in Vancouver.  No record has yet been found of their emigration.

The family was generally Church of England.

If anyone can advise me about churches in the area of Gomersal, or anyone doing monumental inscription lookups, it would be appreciated.  I have already tried Findagrave and gravestone photos with no joy.  I have no idea what the most likely scenario would even have been for dealing with the remains of the children of a widow in service.

This little boy was my great grandmother's younger brother.
Thank in advance for your help. 

Shermy
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Edwin Collier died age 5 in Gomersal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 21 07:05 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has an entry (transcript) for a burial of

George Edward Monkman Collier, 27th June 1885 at St Mary’s Gomersal.

Source

Huddersfield & District Family History Society
Transcriptions © Huddersfield & District Family History Society

https://www.hdfhs.org.uk/

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 21 07:09 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have the image - George aged 5 of Gomersal, all other details as mckha489.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 21 19:54 BST (UK) »
excellent, thank you all.

I have found a satellite view of the churchyard.

I can see no online source of gravestone images.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks again!
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 21 20:05 BST (UK) »

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 00:43 BST (UK) »
This is interesting. Only one of the people on George Edwin's page are actually listed in Find a Grave, and that one is incorrect - in the parish register.  They have Bowen, when it appears it should be  Dowen, from a family with other deceased Dowens.

Find a Grave says that this cemetery is only 90 % transcribed, but 7 of the 8 people on George's page are not listed.  In fact, FindaGrave only has 6 people TOTAL for a death in 1885.  I am thinking that perhaps the gravestones are not in great shape and have possibly been mistranscribed, or were just unreadable.

I guess I will just try every permutation, unless someone has a better idea?

Thanks!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 08:28 BST (UK) »

Find a Grave says that this cemetery is only 90 % transcribed, but 7 of the 8 people on George's page are not listed.

I read it as 805 memorials have been added but only 90% of those have been photographed.  It does not mention how many gravestones there are in the churchyard.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 September 21 04:32 BST (UK) »
That makes more sense, Rosie.

Thank you.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 October 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has an entry (transcript) for a burial of

George Edward Monkman Collier, 27th June 1885 at St Mary’s Gomersal.

Source

Huddersfield & District Family History Society
Transcriptions © Huddersfield & District Family History Society

https://www.hdfhs.org.uk/

Hi All,

I a bit confused by what I'm reading and events, George's mother Catherine Hill Collier was in service (Most likely domestic service with very poor wages as most servants lived with and feed by their employer - hence low pay) and her children were in the care with Mrs Woodhead, Oxford Road, Gomersal (Foster care or a relative ????).  Well who would pay for a private grave and a headstone for George ? as normally in such circumstances George  would have been buried in a municipal deceased  (Pauper) grave
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth