Author Topic: John Duff  (Read 769 times)

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Duff
« on: Thursday 23 September 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
John Duff was married to Anne Kellas on 12 July 1827.I cannot find a DOB for him, but I'm guessing he died sometime between 1846/47 and 1851. He appears in the 1841 census but not in the 1851. On that his wife is a widow. I have tried Scotland's People, but it looks as if he just disappeared. Any suggestions or perhaps someone in his family has the answer. I live in hope.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Duff
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census gives John's age as 39 and his wife as 37. It seems that the usual rounding down of ages may not have been applied here. That would give you a birth year of approx. 1802, but the census also shows he was born out of county. It does not say which county. So unless you know where he was born, you can only guess from a large list of possible births.
His marriage record may give you more information about where he was from.
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a142690f4040b9d6e11367e/john-duff-1841-banffshire-inveravon-1802-?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 September 21 12:47 BST (UK) »
Inveravon recordes parish deaths 1636 to 1783 gap 1844 to 1854. so if John died there it was maybe in the gap?

Possible record for Anne, which you may have?
Only 25 Johns in Scotland 1800 - 1804, quite a few in Perthshire.

KELLAS   ANNE   JOHN KELLAS/HELEN INNES      04/08/1803   Inveravon

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 September 21 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks all I have  that info. I have a death of a John Duff in 1849, but no age at death given and his abode as being stated at Fordyce, which is out of the rest of the records which were mostly at Inveravon.
On the marriage of John Duff and Anne Kellas  (Inveravon)all it says that he was from the Bridge of Livet.
I have three possibilities 2 from Gamrie and Macduff  (1799) and one from Fordyce (1800). I'll have to do a bit more digging until I'm convinced on which way to go, if at all!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 September 21 19:26 BST (UK) »
Inveravon kirk session minutes 18-3-1827:

Compeared
John Duff in Navie at the Bridge of Livet and
confesses that he is father of a child in fornication
with which Anne Kellas in Rinmore is preg-
nant. He was accordingly rebuked fined and dis
missed.

[i.e. dismissed from church censure]

Inveravon kirk session accounts 18-3-1827:

John Duff's Penalty at Bridge
of Livet          -          -          - 1 "  " -

[i.e. his penalty was £1 as he paid 10/- for himself and 10/- for Anne Kellas]

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 21 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info still not sure as to when or where John duff was born. Are the kirk sessions available now on Scotlands people? They might be handy in trying to find the origin of my "brick wall" gt gt grandfather Young. I live in hope.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 September 21 23:17 BST (UK) »
A large number of kirk session minute and account books are on ScotlandsPeople now. They are free to view, but have a watermark over them. If you want to download a page without the watermark, you then pay a modest charge. They are perfectly readable with the watermark, however.

Re the origins of your man, the 1841 census says he was born outside Banffshire. That would rule out the two baptisms in Gamrie and the one in Fordyce. The Gamrie ones are relatives of mine, who both seem to have died young.

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 September 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you most interesting. I'm just wondering how far afield John Duff was at birth. I did wonder about the three I mentioned, but now I can dispose of them. A couple of years ago before the Kirk sessions were on line, I waded through some records at Old Aberdeen trying to find if my Young ancestor was born out of wedlock. I only had half a day but I barely scratched the surface.
However again many thanks.