Author Topic: James Alexander m. 13 Dec 1754 Clackmannan, in Armagh, Ire by 1858  (Read 983 times)

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
James Alexander m. 13 Dec 1754 Clackmannan, in Armagh, Ire by 1858
« on: Wednesday 29 September 21 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I have just discovered the dates for James Alexander as above, after realising that he and his wife, Mary, left Scotland for Ireland between 1754 and 1758, but I'm puzzled as to the move across to Armagh from Clackmannan.

I've been trying to research WHY people were leaving Clackmannan and why they were heading to Ireland, but can't seem to find a reason. I found that coal-mining was big in Clackmannan, but I can't find anything about land clearances or any other clear reasons for a young couple to up and leave their families and homeland. Armagh was geographically close, but weren't land clearances happening there too?

Can someone on this forum with more knowledge of the social conditions of the time and area please tell me more about why this would be?

With many thanks for your time,
OJ
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Alexander m. 13 Dec 1754 Clackmannan, in Armagh, Ire by 1858
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 08:52 BST (UK) »
The first thing to consider is that it might not be them. James Alexander is not an uncommon name and if you do not know his wife's maiden name, that widens the possibilities. Also, not every baptism or marriage was recorded, and those that were have not always survived. Do you have any evidence to prove that the couple in Clackmannan is the same as the couple in Armagh?

If they are the same, a work-related move is the commonest reason. People like gardeners, estate managers or soldiers, for example, can be found moving a considerable distance.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
Records on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

ALEXANDER   JAMES   MARY MCVEY   13/12/1754   Clackmannan

Children of JAMES ALEXANDER/MARY MCVEY born/baptised Clackmannan

ALEXANDER 1756, LILIAS 1759

MARY 1762, MARGARET 1764

LILIAS 1766, THOMAS 1768

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Possible marriages for their children but would require more research.
ALEXANDER   ALEXANDER   KATHARINE MORRICE   04/05/1782   Clackmannan

ALEXANDER   MARY   MATHEW PATTERSON   11/10/1789   Clackmannan
ALEXANDER   MARY   GEORGE HOG   15/11/1789   Clackmannan

ALEXANDER   MARGARET   ROBERT DUNCANSON   18/02/1787   Clackmannan

ALEXANDER   THOMAS   JANET MCFARLANE   09/06/1793   Alloa

My guess is that both Lilias's died.

Deaths in Clackmannan prior to Statutory Registration in 1855 only recorded 1832 - 1854

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
If the couple that ColC has found is the one you were meaning, then he has found evidence that they were still in Clackmannan in 1768.

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 21 03:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, Colin, and yes, GR2, you are right.

This does appear to be the correct family, Colin.
According to my other (unproven) information, James is supposed to have died in Armagh in 1790. I have not been able to certify this.

The other link I have to Armagh for this family is James's son John. I notice that he doesn't appear on your list of children for James Alexander and Mary McVey, Colin; however, using your information, I have gone back and retested my links, and I have now found him born in Clackmannan (not Ireland) in 1758.

According to other (unproven) information given to me, this son, John, died in Armagh in 1821 and is buried at Cloveneden, near Loughall. I have been unable to find any records for this event either.

It seems that for some reason, either James &/or John have moved across the water to Armagh. John's son, William, marries Jane Culbert in Armagh in 1820.

I will continue to dig, but if you are able to provide any further help, it will be very much appreciated.

OJ
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 September 21 11:09 BST (UK) »

I note the record for John in 1758 father noted as Jas.

You could try looking at the Kirk Session records on SP, it is a little time consuming.

I did come across this in the accounts for example:

James Alexander (Not clear if snr or jnr) 7 Feb 1789
Mortcloth nil – Bell Money = 2 shilling paid.

Mary Anderson  Mortcloth 28 Nov 1790
6 shilling – Bell Money = 1 shilling paid.

There is also a record same detail as Mary for a John Anderson
10 Jan 1791 but there were other John's born there.

Colin

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 September 21 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Colin.
I hadn't thought of that. I'd love to resolve this if I can, so I'll start digging.
Much appreciated.
OJ

PS: I know what a mortcloth was, but what is/was 'bell money', please?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 October 21 09:54 BST (UK) »
The church accounts provide details of the money paid for a variety of church services, including ringing the bells at funeral services.

Colin