Author Topic: Ellen S BOUGHTON and George PEACOCK  (Read 2459 times)

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen S BOUGHTON and George PEACOCK
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 October 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
George peacock,  occupation is mariner on marriage register.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 October 21 15:31 BST (UK) »
Ah mariner well done.  That might be significant in tracking him down.

Did I see his father was a baker?  I did find a Peacock baker on census somewhere.  Will go find it again in case there is a link.

Here it is in Lambeth 1851

George Peacock head 28 baker born Lambeth

so that can't be the father age 28. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 October 21 02:36 BST (UK) »
Ellen S Broughton age 26 arrived Port Phillip Bay Australia 5 Jul 1850.

I think there is a problem with this sighting in 1850.

Looking at the original, it seems to read-
Ellen is 24 years, born Islington.
Her calling, as I read it, is a nursing governess.
Going to the employment of A. J.  HE??  Esq. of Melbourne.

On her marriage certificate to George PEACOCK, your Ellen made her mark (X)
So not likely to be a governess.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 October 21 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have checked the pioneer index for the CODRIGA/PEACOCK marriage and the birthplace for Happy PEACOCK does state Bendigo.

This would be the information she gave to the clergy and I would say correct to the best of her belief.

Amanti born Switzerland.
Sue

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 October 21 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue thanks for that.  She may have either "thought" she was born in Bendigo as you say to the best of her ability, her mum may have not been alive to ask perhaps!  Just a thought, maybe her birth  has not been registered or under some name that can not be discovered (as yet). 

I was thinking of buying the birth certificate of MARY WELLS, just to see if HAPPY is mentioned or whatever else may be ascertained from that record!  I don't think she is the Ellen BROUGHTON as it's spelt who arrived in 1850, doesn't quite add up I don't think.  It's a strange one.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 05:48 BST (UK) »

I was thinking of buying the birth certificate of MARY WELLS, just to see if HAPPY is mentioned or whatever else may be ascertained from that record!  I don't think she is the Ellen BROUGHTON as it's spelt who arrived in 1850, doesn't quite add up I don't think.  It's a strange one.  Many thanks Dianna

It is hard to know which certificate of those connected to Ellen (nee BOUGHTON) would be the best to download.
Civil registration in Victoria began in the early part of 1853.
The marriage to WELLS was in 1854, a time when glitches in the system were still  frequent.

However, if thoroughly and accurately completed, the bride will have furnished details which will help you to confirm she is the right person together with her marital status, her parents names, place of birth etc. Also the origins of John WELLS.

One must assume the the marriage was after Happy's February birthday  (if it's accurate in the information you have) otherwise Happy's surname would be WELLS not PEACOCK.  She remained surnamed PEACOCK to her marriage, so was not 'claimed' or adopted by John WELLS. Unlikely to be any mention of HAPPY on the marriage certificate.

The birth of Mary WELLS in 1857 which is the other certificate you are considering, will not hold  information about the parents of John and Ellen WELLS (nee BOUGHTON ) but it may mention HAPPY though she is clearly not previous issue of this union.

I found some Bendigo property rates information which possibly applies to John and Ellen.I will search it out again

I do note, if it is of interest, that there is currently a discount on the downloadable certificates from BMD Victoria making the cost $20  ;D

Sue

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue and all
     I have a little update which I just received about half an hour ago from the Bendigo Family History Team:-

Peacock , Wells and Codiga research to 5 Oct 2021
John WELLS married Ellen Sarah PEACOCK on 10 Feb 1854 at All Saints Bendigo
Church record says he is a widower aged 40 born Scoughton Norfolk England and she is aged 29 born Islington London, a widow of a sailor . Her parents are Elijah Boughton and Sarah Field and she has one child alive.

Baptism record of All Saints Bendigo dated 20 May 1855 has HAPPY HONOR WELLS born 10 Feb 1854 parents John Wells and Ellen (no name stated). This looks like she was born on the same day her parents married.
There is another baptism on 20 May 1855. George Walter Wells born 5 Dec 1851 at ? father John Wells mother Ellen Wells.

Happy Honor PEACOCK of Kangaroo Flat aged 21 Father George Walter Peacock, mother Ellen Boughten married AMANTE CODIGA aged 34 born Switzerland in June 1875 at Kangaroo Flat
One of the witnesses to this marriage is ELLEN SARAH JONES….is this the brides mother ?

There is a john Henry Wells b Vic 16069/1859 Charcoal…this is Charcoal Gully in Kangaroo Flat.
Bendigo Advertiser 18 May 1899 page 2 has a report on his death age 40 “A Fossikers tragic End”
He is a single man living with his mother a widow who was married to William Jones “A coloured man”. It says they are living in very poor conditions. By this time his mother must be in her 70.s at least and I will try to find her in Bendigo hospital or Benevolent asylum.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/9089428

Bendigo Advertiser of 16 Nov 1893 page 3 has article re William Jones founded drowned and on 17 Nov 1893 page3 “Recent Drowning case’ widow Ellen Sarah Jones identifies body.

So that is all really wonderful!!  Now I will try and find out what happened to Ellen (wonder why her daughter HAPPY wasn't looking out for her).  When you read the newspaper report on her son it is very sad.  Wow what a difficult life this woman had.  Now I can add this to my family tree.  Bless her.  A bit more to discover!  Don't know what happened to JOHN WELLS but may be more back in England re him!  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
What great information from the Bendigo Family history people ;D

I wonder how Ellen got to Bendigo?
Also who was the father of Happy in truth? 

John WELLS claims her at baptism , but she continues to use the name PEACOCK ???

Lots of interesting questions in this story.

Sue

PS. Was John WELLS a miner on the marriage certificate?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
Oh fantastic progress well done! 

"widow of a sailor" fits nicely.  I was wondering if she could have been on a ship with George doing his occupation rather than a passenger list if you know what I mean. 

I looked for deaths at sea to no avail.  Maybe there are mariner records for him or newspaper reports?
Worth looking in newspapers if they go back that far.

Now the name Jones rings a bell, think there was a marriage to a Jones but I discounted it as thought she was married to Wells.  Will see if can find it again.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos